The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who presents the motion for discussion?

Guest Gene

After a motion and second are properly acknowledged, does RRoO specify the office responsible for presenting the motion to the deliberative body for discussion? I find where the chair can omit the discussion phase if there appears to be total support for the motion, but I just assume that the responsibility falls to the chairperson to state that the discussion phase is opened, and if appropriate how long the discussion phase will be,and when the voting will commence.

Can you point me to the correct sections of RRoO for the answers?

Thank you,

Gene

After a motion and second are properly acknowledged, does RRoO specify the office responsible for presenting the motion to the deliberative body for discussion? I find where the chair can omit the discussion phase if there appears to be total support for the motion, but I just assume that the responsibility falls to the chairperson to state that the discussion phase is opened, and if appropriate how long the discussion phase will be,and when the voting will commence.

Can you point me to the correct sections of RRoO for the answers?

Thank you,

Gene

When a clear and proper motion has been made and seconded, the chair must state the question on it, that is, repeat the exact wording of the motion, thereby placing it before the assembly for debate.

The chair cannot ommit the opportunity for debate on a debatable motion. He can ask for unanimous consent to take action without the normal process of a motion being made and debated, but this can only be done with the consent of every member of the assembly.

Of course, once the motion has been placed before the assembly, if no debate/discussion occurs right away (i.e. no one claims the floor) the Chairman should double check if anyone wanted to speak on the motion and then start the vote. For example, the Chairman could state "Doe anyone wish to speak with regards to the motion?" The Chairman then waits a moment and if no one claims the floor can then state "If not, we will proceed to the vote. All those in favour say aye (or raise your hand). (pause) All those against say nay (or no or raise you hand). The motion is carried (or the motion is defeated.)"

Archived