The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election of officers

rbob

That "custom" went out of style some time in the early 19th century. Don't use it.

Instead, when it is time for nominations from the floor, just say "Are there any nominations from the floor?" Do one office at a time.

When people nominate someone, "I nominate John Smith", you repeat the name, such as "John Smith is nominated." Make sure the secretary gets each name. Seconds are not required, so don't wait for them. But if someone does second a nomination, just let them, and ask if there are any further nominations.

When there are no more nominations say "Are there any more nominations? If there are no more nominations.... (pause) then nominations are closed." But you may not do this if anyone still wishes to make nominations, nor is a motion to close nominations in order if anyone still wishes to nominate. There is no legitimate way to cut off nominations if people wish to make them, so don't allow any attempt to do so.

If there is a motion to close and if it is in order, it takes a 2/3 vote to close.

Once closed, for whatever reason, it only takes a majority vote to reopen.them.

In previous years at our annual election of officers I remember the chairman going through repetitive procedures, such as asking 3 times if there are any more nominations.

This year I have to do this procedure so I want to find the rules for conducting the meeting to include election of officers

Are you saying you will be chairing the meeting this year (perhaps for the first time)? You should have with you, and be well-versed in, a copy of the parliamentary authority, which we'd hope would be Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (11th Ed.), which contains said rules. If this is your first time doing this, you'll find some Suggestions for Inexperienced Presiding Officers beginning on page 454. The other 600+ pages are very informative as well.

It would also be a good idea to pick up a copy of RONR In Brief (2nd Edition), which can be read in its entirety in a few short hours, and offers many insights into the basics of parliamentary procedure.

And don't hesitate to return here with further questions. This forum is similar to the "Phone A Friend" lifeline on the Who Wants To Be A Parliamentarian game show.

And be debate, that also allows the candidates to give a brief talk about themselves and why they should be elected. However when the membership is discussing the nominees, make sure that you stay on top of the discussion. I have seen debate surrounding elections turn into a yelling match about why one candidate or another is something or other (words that cannot be repeated here.)

Archived