The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Gerry Dennison

In our club, we just had our yearly election, the vote was announced, the newly elected officer immediatly steps down (with no notice).

Our by-laws state that if someone steps down from a position, that the board will select a new canidate and this will be presented to the general membership for approval.

But, once the newly elected officer stepped down, the defeated person (2011's officer) and declared she would take the job. (Since the election was between the two).

I DON'T feel this is right, and the person wanting the position said since it was at the same meeting, she had the right to the job.

Could ANYONE help me on this?

Thank you,

Beth Hart

If you are a person running for an elected position, during the voting (paper ballots) can that person keep entering the room where the people are voting?

Who am I, again?

Anyway, RONR has no such rule prohibiting the entering of a room in which votes are being tabulated, even if entering through the window.

Are you suggesting fowl play, or do you really think a person entering the room would invalidate the tellers' report?

Anyway, RONR has no such rule prohibiting the entering of a room in which votes are being tabulated, even if entering through the window.

But Tim - per the initial post, this is not occurring when votes are being tabulated, but when they are being cast.

If you are a person running for an elected position, during the voting (paper ballots) can that person keep entering the room where the people are voting?

Of course, I am not having success putting finger to citation regarding this, but it seems (perhaps) at best inappropriate activity during election voting.

Also, it seems the candidate in question is outside the voting hall, as he "keep entering the room", and I'm wondering if he's checking on how the vote is going, and perhaps has even been excluded during the vote for some reason.

I'm hoping Guest Gerry will return with some clarifications before we hit 20 replies ourselves. :)

But Tim - per the initial post, this is not occurring when votes are being tabulated, but when they are being cast.

Of course, I am not having success putting finger to citation regarding this, but it seems (perhaps) at best inappropriate activity during election voting.

Also, it seems the candidate in question is outside the voting hall, as he "keep entering the room", and I'm wondering if he's checking on how the vote is going, and perhaps has even been excluded during the vote for some reason.

I'm hoping Guest Gerry will return with some clarifications before we hit 20 replies ourselves. :)

You're right, David, I misread the post as being concerned with entering the room where votes were being tabulated. I don't have any idea what the original poster means by saying that the individual keeps entering the room where the people are voting.

In any event, RONR doesn't specifically prohibit a candidate from entering a room.

No rule in RONR prohibits a member from repeatedly entering and exiting the polling place. Some organizations adopt standing rules on this topic.

I'm not aware of anything in RONR which suggests that this is inappropriate.

Well, I suspect that the assembly had set up a polling place separate from the meeting hall, and that is the room which the member is entering and exiting, although in any event, RONR has no prohibition against a member repeatedly entering and exiting a room (although he had best do so quietly, so as not to disturb the assembly). RONR also does not prohibit a candidate from "checking on how the vote is going."

Now, if the member has indeed been excluded from the vote and/or from the meeting hall, then we have a much bigger problem, as such an exclusion is generally not in order.

I don't have any idea what the original poster means by saying that the individual keeps entering the room where the people are voting.

Of course. Presuming they are a member. I don't see what the objection would be, given that a secret ballot is being used.

It seems likely that the assembly has set up a separate polling place. Presumably, most members cast their vote, promptly leave the polling place, and do not return later. I suspect that there are concerns about the candidate attempting to influence members in the polling place. This violates no rules in RONR, but some assemblies adopt standing rules on the subject, similar to the restrictions often found in public elections.

I'm not aware of anything in RONR which suggests that this is inappropriate.

I certainly appreciate your insights into such circumstances as so sketchily described by the OP, but in the absence of a clear understanding of what actually transpired when and where, I tend to be reserved in my imaginings.

That said, p. 408 ll. 9-14 suggests that, with one noted exception which does not seem applicable here yet, interruptions during the voting process are not permitted once begun. Whatever may be happening (or has happened) here, having anyone "repeatedly" entering and exiting the hall might be construed (by the assembly, of course, and ostensibly by the OP) as such an interruption. I guess that's all I'm saying.

I certainly appreciate your insights into such circumstances as so sketchily described by the OP, but in the absence of a clear understanding of what actually transpired when and where, I tend to be reserved in my imaginings.

Fair point.

That said, p. 408 ll. 9-14 suggests that, with one noted exception which does not seem applicable here yet, interruptions during the voting process are not permitted once begun. Whatever may be happening (or has happened) here, having anyone "repeatedly" entering and exiting the hall might be construed (by the assembly, of course, and ostensibly by the OP) as such an interruption. I guess that's all I'm saying.

I don't see how the member entering and exiting the hall interrupts the process of voting.

Are you perhaps thinking of RONR, 11th ed., pg. 394, lines 12-22, which refers to a member disturbing the assembly? I can certainly see how that citation would be applicable.

Are you perhaps thinking of RONR, 11th ed., pg. 394, lines 12-22, which refers to a member disturbing the assembly? I can certainly see how that citation would be applicable.

That might be the better citation. In the end, it's up to the assembly to determine if it is being disturbed, or if the voting is being interrupted, and so on. Clearly, entering and exiting a room can be accomplished with no more disturbing effect than the rustling of papers and scratchings of Bic stylos, and we know only the barest of facts. Hello, Gerry?

Can a person accept a nomination for more than one position? Our organizational bylaws state that we will conduct all meetings in accordance with Roberts Rules of Order, so therefore our bylaws do not specifically prohibit this from occurring. So I am hoping that it is prohibited somehow in Roberts Rules. We currently have an individual that has been nominated for two positions, this has never happened before so we are unsure as to what to do with it.

Can a person accept a nomination for more than one position? Our organizational bylaws state that we will conduct all meetings in accordance with Roberts Rules of Order, so therefore our bylaws do not specifically prohibit this from occurring. So I am hoping that it is prohibited somehow in Roberts Rules. We currently have an individual that has been nominated for two positions, this has never happened before so we are unsure as to what to do with it.

No rule in RONR prevents someone from being nominated to more than one position.

Also, it's best to start your own topic even though yours seems to be related to an existing one already posted. That way, answers to both questions can be kept separate, and you get our undivided attention.

So I am hoping that it is prohibited somehow in Roberts Rules.

Sorry. Not only isn't there anything in RONR that prohibits a person from being nominated for more than one office, there isn't anything that prevents a person from serving in more than one office. The solution, of course, is to elect someone else.

Sorry. Not only isn't there anything in RONR that prohibits a person from being nominated for more than one office, there isn't anything that prevents a person from serving in more than one office. The solution, of course, is to elect someone else.

so what you are saying is that it is entirely possible if the person is well liked enough and has enough support to be elected to every position on the board if they so desired

so what you are saying is that it is entirely possible if the person is well liked enough and has enough support to be elected to every position on the board if they so desired

Depends. If multiple offices are open and voting takes place by a single ballot (all offices voted on with one ballot slip), then no, unless your rules say otherwise (RONR 11, p. 440 ll. 3-9). Otherwise, yes it's possible. However, RONR does strongly discourage some multi-office combinations, in particular President-Vice President and President-Secretary. I'd say "typically", if a person is elected to a second office, many (most?) societies according to their custom would expect him/her to choose which office to take.

Well, not every identical position (i.e. he wouldn't hold six seats on a six-member board). But, yes, the same person could, for example, be elected as both secretary and treasurer.

On the other hand, having the same person serving as both president and secretary, or president and vice-president is unwise.

No. Those are not two different offices, they are all the same.

If the board consists of, say, seven members, nobody can be more than one member. He would either gain election to the board (achieve a majority), or he would not. But he could be elected to two different offices, if your rules allow it.

The original question, however was whether he could be nominated for two different offices. There may be a different rule about whether a person may serve in two offices. If that's not allowed in your society, and this person wins two offices, then he can choose which to hold. And if he's not present at the meeting, the assembly can decide by a majority vote. In either case, you would then re-vote for the other unfilled office.

Depends. If multiple offices are open and voting takes place by a single ballot (all offices voted on with one ballot slip), then no, unless your rules say otherwise (RONR 11, p. 440 ll. 3-9).

It's still possible to elect someone to multiple offices under such a system, it just takes additional rounds of balloting.

Archived