The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is there an available meeting template?

tommyrhodes

I'm a Captain on a Volunteer Fire Department. I've also taken on the responsibility of secretary. Our organization does a very poor job of following Roberts rules and even our own Bylaws. One of our main goals for 2012 is to start working toward a better understanding of Roberts Rules. As secretary, I've decided to try and put together a template for how our meetings should be run. Our meetings are always very productive, but they are certainly not orderly. Judging by my time spent browsing your forum, you guys would probably go crazy watching one of our meetings.

What I'm hoping to find is a general list of what each meeting portion consists of. Our current setup is as follows; Call to order, Roll Call, Secretarys Report (must be accepted by majority) Treasurers Report (Must be accepted by majority) Communications and Bills, Reports of Committees, Proposals for membership (Majority Vote to accept an application), Balloting for Membership (Majority vote to accept as member), Good of the company (Discussion/motions accepted from the membership), Old Business (Discussion/motions accepted from the membership), New Business (Discussion/motions accepted from the membership), Motion to adjourn (From anyone, passed with majority vote)

I'm sure many of you are cringing while you read this. I'm really hoping there is a list somewhere on the interwebs that I've overlooked.

Thanks in advance guys!

Or look at the condensed version in RONRIB, p. 13.

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening.

I'm a Captain on a Volunteer Fire Department. I've also taken on the responsibility of secretary. Our organization does a very poor job of following Roberts rules and even our own Bylaws. One of our main goals for 2012 is to start working toward a better understanding of Roberts Rules. As secretary, I've decided to try and put together a template for how our meetings should be run. Our meetings are always very productive, but they are certainly not orderly. Judging by my time spent browsing your forum, you guys would probably go crazy watching one of our meetings.

What I'm hoping to find is a general list of what each meeting portion consists of. Our current setup is as follows; Call to order, Roll Call, Secretarys Report (must be accepted by majority) Treasurers Report (Must be accepted by majority) Communications and Bills, Reports of Committees, Proposals for membership (Majority Vote to accept an application), Balloting for Membership (Majority vote to accept as member), Good of the company (Discussion/motions accepted from the membership), Old Business (Discussion/motions accepted from the membership), New Business (Discussion/motions accepted from the membership), Motion to adjourn (From anyone, passed with majority vote)

I'm sure many of you are cringing while you read this. I'm really hoping there is a list somewhere on the interwebs that I've overlooked.

Thanks in advance guys!

What makes your meetings 'not orderly'? Just because the organization follows a non-standard order of business doesn't mean that disorder automatically follows.

Or, conversely, rearranging the order in which you take up business will not automatically fix all problems of disorder during the meeting. Is something else going on that needs to be addressed, in terms of how the meetings are run?

Archived