The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-Law Change - is this fishy? Meeting dates/times

Guest Todd

We are meeting to change by-laws. One of by-laws calls for:

"The regular meetings of the members shall be held at a location to be designated by the President the first Monday of each month"

He wants to change it to read: "The regular meetings...shall be held at a public location and time designated by the president"

Does that sound fishy?

Also..

"Regular meeting of the board shall be held the third Monday of each month, and at such times that the Board may determine"

He wants to change it to read" Regular meetings of the Board shall be called by the President to be held at a public location at the time of the presidents choosing".

Is that right?

Also..

Board must notify each member in writing of each Board meeting at least two days prior to such meeting...

He wants to change it to: "Members can contact the president for the time and location of the upcoming board meetings and have the right to attend..."

IS that right?

It doesn't matter what the President wants, unless your bylaws (unwisely) give him the unilateral authority to amend. Assuming (dangerous as that is) that the general membership gets the deciding vote in this, that's really who you should be asking if any of this sounds fishy. If enough of them do, then there's little to worry about, assuming (risky, yes) they will come out to vote.

But since you asked, I hear fish. :wacko:

We are meeting to change by-laws. One of by-laws calls for:

"The regular meetings of the members shall be held at a location to be designated by the President the first Monday of each month"

He wants to change it to read: "The regular meetings...shall be held at a public location and time designated by the president"

Does that sound fishy?

Also..

"Regular meeting of the board shall be held the third Monday of each month, and at such times that the Board may determine"

He wants to change it to read" Regular meetings of the Board shall be called by the President to be held at a public location at the time of the presidents choosing".

Is that right?

Also..

Board must notify each member in writing of each Board meeting at least two days prior to such meeting...

He wants to change it to: "Members can contact the president for the time and location of the upcoming board meetings and have the right to attend..."

IS that right?

If you want the president to have these powers, then it's right.

If you don't, then it's wrong.

Does that sound fishy?

I wouldn't say "fishy." Provisions like this are hardly unusual, although many organizations do provide a backup in case the organization doesn't like the President's choice. It's ultimately up to your organization.

Is that right?

Same answer as above. Giving more power to the President isn't necessarily right or wrong. It depends on the circumstances of the organization.

IS that right?

Okay, that one does sound fishy. Notification of meetings is a basic right of membership and I would think very carefully before messing around with that. The original rule could use some clarification, as it's not entirely clear who is supposed to notify the board members, but notification of meetings is a very good policy.

But since you asked, I hear fish. :wacko:

The first two provisions are really not that unusual. I would agree that the third one seems a bit fishy.

The first two provisions are really not that unusual.

I suppose, but what troubles me is the apparent power-grab by the President in proposing these changes himself, especially in light of the third amendment's lack of specificity and seeming lack of attention to member rights. Had these been proposed by a committee chosen of a well-rounded mix of members, I might be less apprehensive. But each society to its own, I guess.

Archived