The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Postpone definitely an amendment to the constitution

Guest Guest_bella

Proper notice has been given of a proposed amendment to Constitution by single member; membership at large also notified. Proposing member now wishes to postpone to a future meeting. What is the proper procedure for handling this at the first meeting (the one contained in the notice that has already been sent)? It seems someone needs to make a motion on the amendment at the first meeting, second, etc in order for the member proposing to move to postpone. If someone could advise as to proper steps it would be great. Thanks.

I don't understand your mulitple meeting references but when the amendment is announced as pending by the chair, any member of the assembly may move to postpone it to the next session as long as that session is held within a quarterly time interval. Giving previous notice for the meeting to which it was postponed would not be required.

A motion to postpone indefinitely (kill it for this session) is in order as well. If it's to be considered again you need to start fresh with giving proper previous notice, etc...

Yes, the motion would be moved and seconded. Then a motion to "Postpone to a Definite Time" could be made. For example, the member could move "That the motion be postponed for two months." Of course, this requires a secnder and a majority vote. See pages 179-191 of RONR.

Of course, special meetings would have to be allowed for in the By-laws.

Yes, the motion would be moved and seconded. Then a motion to "Postpone to a Definite Time" could be made. For example, the member could move "That the motion be postponed for two months." Of course, this requires a secnder and a majority vote. See pages 179-191 of RONR.

Of course, special meetings would have to be allowed for in the By-laws.

"That the motion be postponed for two months." is not apt to be in order, but I suppose it's possible. :)

Guest Bella wrote...

"postpone to a future meeting"

Just to be completely clear your "postpone" motion cannot be to just any future meeting, but only to the next meeting you have. That may have been what Dan the Oracle had in mind.

If that isn't enough time, you can postpone things again when the bylaw amendment (automatically) comes up at the next meeting. Repeat as necessary.

"That the motion be postponed for two months." is not apt to be in order, but I suppose it's possible. :)

Why not? Although I do concede that stating the "June meeting" is two months after the "April meeting", so the effect would be the same (i.e. the motion would be brought up again in two months.)

Thanks for the help. One more question...if the second motion (to postpone) does not pass we proceed to discuss and vote on the original motion (the amendment) correct?

Yes. Although as David stated it could be referred to a Committee. And a time frame could be included in the motion to refer. An example would as follows: "That the motion be referred to a Committee comprised of three members appointed by the President and that the Committee report back at the ____ meeting." The members could be named in the motion, either appointed or elected to the Committee if the group chooses, and no end date need be provided.

Why not? Although I do concede that stating the "June meeting" is two months after the "April meeting", so the effect would be the same (i.e. the motion would be brought up again in two months.)

If there is a May meeting, Ed, you can't postpone it from April til June. Doing so results in a continuing breach of the rules.

Archived