The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rights of Foreign Members

Guest Matthew Townsend

Guest Matthew Townsend

Hi Everyone,

The Leonberger Club of America's Governance Comittee recently issued a decision adopted by our board of of directors that states that our foreign members have "none of the rights" of regular members.

Article 1 of the Bylaws states:

ARTICLE I: MEMBERSHIP

Section 1. Eligibility.

There shall be two (2) types of memberships; regular and foreign:

(a)
Regular membership. Open to all residents of the United States, eighteen (18) years or older, who are in good standing with the American Kennel Club and who subscribe to the purposes of this Club.

1.) Single membership. Open to individuals, and includes a subscription to the Club newsletter, and

2.) Family membership. Open to a maximum of two (2) specific individuals residing in the same household, without regard to actual family relationship. Family membership dues shall be at a reduced rate compared to the individual regular membership rate, but each family membership shall be entitled to only one Club newsletter. Each such member shall have one (1) vote in all Club elections.

B)Foreign membership. Open to all non-residents of the United States, eighteen (18) years or older, who are not under sanction by any AKC recognized national kennel club or umbrella organization. Such members are ineligible to hold office or vote in Club elections, but may serve on committees.

I have poked around Robert's Rules to see if there is any reasoning for this and can't find anything truly concrete one way or the other. My Club has adopted Robert's Rules.

(Optional Context) The Leonberger Club of America promotes and advertises for American Breeders for an optional, annual $20.00 breeders fee. They also do this for foreign breeders (foreign membrs) who belonged to the club before 2008. The Club refuses to allow foreign members to purchase this service now because they do not have that "right'.

Thanks so much!

~Matt

The Leonberger Club of America's Governance Comittee recently issued a decision adopted by our board of of directors...

First of all, you should make sure that the Committee and Board actually have the authority to make that decision. Second, I would check to see if there is a way to challenge this decision (if they indeed have the authority to make it) because the bylaw language you cited only removed 2 rights of membership specifically (though technically holding office isn't a right of membership unless your bylaws say that only members can hold office). Other rights of membership are that members can't be prevented from attending meetings (unless they have been subjected to disciplinary action) and to vote on questions before the assembly (the bylaws only remove the right to vote in elections).

Guest Matthew Townsend

Thank you, Chris,

The Board has the authority to run the club's business, but I don't believe they should have the authority to so severely limit the rights of foreign members (I am not one). I just can't find a concise way to challenge it. I would end up having to go into a treatise on the Supremacy of the Constitution and Bylaws versus standing rules and the only path to challenge a decision of the Governance Committee is through the same Governance Committee who proposed the policy or through the Board of Directors who adopted it (or, perhaps, by going over their heads to the AKC). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~Matt

Hi Everyone,

The Leonberger Club of America's Governance Comittee recently issued a decision adopted by our board of of directors that states that our foreign members have "none of the rights" of regular members.

<bylaws excerpt>

I have poked around Robert's Rules to see if there is any reasoning for this and can't find anything truly concrete one way or the other. My Club has adopted Robert's Rules.

Well, you won't find the reasoning in RONR for something that's not included in RONR.

But reasoned or not, your bylaws supersede the rules in RONR so you need to follow the definitions and limitations on classes of members outlined in your bylaws, unless and until you can get them amended.

Archived