The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Withdrawing a motion

Guest JLB

Two amended motions were presented regarding the same matter. After the first one was voted down, the second motioner withdrew his motion.

(just trying to get people to have to make a choice)

Do you get to go back to the first motion because the voting was based on the two motions that were presented?

Two amended motions were presented regarding the same matter. After the first one was voted down, the second motioner withdrew his motion.

Do you get to go back to the first motion because the voting was based on the two motions that were presented?

A defeated motion may be Renewed (Section 38, RONR 11th Ed.) again at any subsequent session. I'm assuming the meeting has already adjourned.

It's hard to understand what actually happened here. There can't be two motions on the floor at the same time, so perhaps you're talking about two amendments offered to one motion?

If the first amendment was voted down, and the second amendment was withdrawn, then yes, what you are left with is the original motion, but it still has to be voted on, since the vote on the amendment was just to decide if it should be changed before being voted on, not to decide if it should be adopted.

If that's not what you're talking about, then I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about, and not overmuch confidence that either of us does.

It's hard to understand what actually happened here. There can't be two motions on the floor at the same time, so perhaps you're talking about two amendments offered to one motion?

If the first amendment was voted down, and the second amendment was withdrawn, then yes, what you are left with is the original motion, but it still has to be voted on, since the vote on the amendment was just to decide if it should be changed before being voted on, not to decide if it should be adopted.

If that's not what you're talking about, then I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about, and not overmuch confidence that either of us does.

Nice reading, Gary. I'm going with you on this now.

JLB -- come baaaaaaaacck.

I'm not sure I understand the facts presented.

However, if the assembly wanted to consider the second motion after the first one was defeated, why didn't they (the assembly) just go ahead and do that? Instead, it sounds as though they were dead in the water because the second motion maker 'withdrew his motion'. If the assembly wanted to consider it anyway, why didn't someone else just make the motion? People often seem to view the motion maker's connection to his motion with excessive reverence -- e.g. asking the motion maker for permission before offering amendments to a pending motion -- maybe this was a similar error in thinking?

Archived