The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ex-Officio not addressed in bylaws

Guest Paul

Hey all,

I think I know the answer to this question, but I want to make sure as I know I'm going to get pushback on it.

Our president has stated that he is an ex-officio member of all standing committees and wishes to participate in meetings

Nowhere in the bylaws does it state that the president is an ex-officio member of ANY committee.

This is not something that can be assumed, right? My position is that, if the bylaws don't state it, then the president is NOT an ex-officio member, end of story.

Thanks.

Of course, ask the President what document makes him an ex-officio member of all Standing Committees. Make sure you have a copy of the By-laws and the 11th Edition of RONR. If he states either of these give him the right to be an ex-officio member, ask him to show him.

I was just thinking though, that a motion might have been passed at some point that would make him an ex-officio member of a specific Standing Committee - assuming that it was a motion to create the Standing Committee. Alhtough I am not 100% that this would strictly fly according to RONR, if the motion exists the President would have a case that his an ex-officio member - but he should also be able to produce the Minutes of the meeting where the motion was passed.

I was just thinking though, that a motion might have been passed at some point that would make him an ex-officio member of a specific Standing Committee - assuming that it was a motion to create the Standing Committee.

I don't believe your point about a hypothetical motion making the president a member of a specific standing committee covers the situation described by the original poster:

Our president has stated that he is an ex-officio member of all standing committees and wishes to participate in meetings

Nowhere in the bylaws does it state that the president is an ex-officio member of ANY committee.

I was just thinking though, that a motion might have been passed at some point that would make him an ex-officio member of a specific Standing Committee - assuming that it was a motion to create the Standing Committee. Alhtough I am not 100% that this would strictly fly according to RONR, if the motion exists the President would have a case that his an ex-officio member - but he should also be able to produce the Minutes of the meeting where the motion was passed.

Or he might have been hit by a meteor.

Archived