The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Are numbers recorded as numbers or words?

Guest Kalima

I have been told numbers must be written in a certain way regarding the minutes. For instance, January 1 is correct. January First is not correct. One-hundred is correct. $100 is not correct. Are there right and wrong ways to record numbers in the minutes?

You were told incorrectly. As far as RONR is concerned you can write it out $100 or one hundred dollars. But until you get to 1,000.000,000 or one billion it probably takes less ink to write it out in number form and I would strongly recommend if you ever need to refer to one googol of something in the minutes that you write out the words rather than its numerical expression which is a one with a hundred zeroes. :D

Thank you to Gary and Chris for your quick replies to my questions.

I am the new Recording Secretary for a large Foundation and have received a lot of commentary on my minutes (dealing with numbers and dates). I want to do things correctly so I am willing to take instruction. But I am a little surprised at the level of edits that have been aimed in my direction to do with how to record numbers and dates. I am very careful with the minutes as I know they will be checked and rechecked for years to come.

Thank you again for taking the time to read my question and respond. Sincerely, Kalima

Well, you raise another point here. Although RONR has no rule like this, your society may adopt rules (even silly ones) for how certain things must be recorded in the minutes. They may feel that using words makes the entry less susceptible to topographical errors or misinterpretation.

If ordered by a majority, corrections like these, while they may seem tedious to you and me, would still be in order.

I have been told numbers must be written in a certain way regarding the minutes. For instance, January 1 is correct. January First is not correct. One-hundred is correct. $100 is not correct. Are there right and wrong ways to record numbers in the minutes?

If I recall from my intro to journalism class oh-sooo-many years ago, the numbers one through nine were to be written out, and numbers 10 and above were to be numerically noted. I don't recall my final grade for that class, but it may be noteworthy to admit I did not carve my career path in the field.

That said, I'd make one other comment: 1) when referring to numbers, it would be inadvisable to both write out the word and include a parenthetical numeric reference. For example, do not put "Member dues shall be twenty (20) dollars." I've seen many instances where, in such case, the dues were increased and noted by changing only the word, leaving the rules to say "Member dues shall be thirty (20) dollars."

Whether "one hundred dollars" can be interpreted differently than "$100"..... it poses no difficulty for me.

I would just like to point out that in air traffic control, 9 is always to be pronounced niner. That may or may not be useful in recording minutes.

I suppose the members could also refer to the chair as, "Roger". It could make for some amusing,

-like, moments.

Archived