The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tied Vote Chairman Election

Guest Edith

And that can never be a bad thing.

Never? I can imagine half the members voting for Idiot A and the other half voting for Idiot B. The only good thing is that, so far, neither idiot has been elected. And when one idiot eventually does win (assuming no dark horse emerges), you'll have half the membership thinking the wrong idiot is in office. A good thing?

I took it that he was saying "you actually have a couple strong candidates running" is never a bad thing...

I agree that that's what he was saying. But if one defines "strong candidates" simply by their level of support (and not their qualifications for holding office), "strength" is not always a good thing.

One could argue (and I'm not doing so here) that an even better thing would be just one candidate with the overwhelming support of a vast majority of the membership.

ZH4R69

Of course, the answers given are the answers that Roberts Rules of Order would dictate. The County Committee may have different rules in place for their municipal chairman.

Texas seems to:

http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012/06/roll-of-dice-could-determine-webster-council-race/

"Texas election laws call for lots to be cast if a runoff election is tied. While the practice of rolling dice is not unusual, it tends to draw interest when it happens, said Robert Stein, a political scientist at Rice University."

Texas seems to:

http://blog.chron.co...r-council-race/

"Texas election laws call for lots to be cast if a runoff election is tied. While the practice of rolling dice is not unusual, it tends to draw interest when it happens, said Robert Stein, a political scientist at Rice University."

Oh my.

You'd better hope the Wrathful One is out on the Bay today.

Of course, the answers given are the answers that Roberts Rules of Order would dictate. The County Committee may have different rules in place for their municipal chairman.

Texas seems to:

http://blog.chron.co...r-council-race/

The citation you're referring to seems to deal with an election by a constituency rather than by the assembly itself. Such elections are more likely to have tie-breaking rules since a revote would be impractical. In the situation described by the original poster, it would appear that the County Committee itself is electing its chairman.

And of course, while it is prudent to point out that applicable rules or laws may vary, discussing the specifics of such rules or laws here is unwise.

Archived