The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appeal to Disciplinary Action

Guest Micki

I am an associate member to a non-profit Veterans Organization. I have been a volunteer there for many years and was also the Administrator of their Facebook page. At an Appreciation Dinner, a male veteran member shoved an orange safety cone into my crotch. As everyone was drunk, I let it go till the next day and then asked that member for an apology. He refused to apologize, so I filed an official complaint with the Board, listing what had happened and the names of the 3 witnesses that had seen him do it. The Board decided there wasn't enough evidence and refused to do anything about the matter.

The President then asked the Board to shut down the Facebook page because there was alot of nasty comments being said on personal pages, and as the Admin I could read what they were saying and brought it to the Presidents attention. When word got out they were shutting down the FB page, numerous members were very upset as that was how they kept up to date on what was happening with the Organization. I took my lap top to the President and showed him all the requests to keep the page, and asked him to consider keeping the page up. The President was very rude, said the members would get over it and said I was nothing but trouble!!

The following weekend, I was given a letter barring me from the property for life for disrespecting the President and the Board for things the President said that I had said. I filed an appeal, was not allowed to speak at it, but the ruling was changed to a 6 month ban.

On May 31, I pulled into the property's front gate to pick up friends that were here from out of state for the annual Mini Reunion. The property is located on a highway, and I felt it wasn't safe to stop in the middle of the highway to let them in and out of my car. I was on the property for a total of 1 minute to pick them up, and one minute to let them out. I did not attempt to drive into the grounds, I only went in one gate and right out the gate beside it.

I recieved a certified letter barring me for an additional 6 months for being in direct violation of the original ban.

I have asked for an appeal to explain, and have been told the Bylaws do not pertain to me as I was already barred from the property. The Board is going to vote on whether I am allowed an appeal. I am still a member and feel the ByLaws that state any disciplinary action is allowed an appeal.

I know this is nothing but a personal vendetta as the man that shoved the cone up my crotch is the boyfriend of one of the Board members.

I feel I am being railroaded by this Board.........any suggestions?

And......do you agree I should be entitled to an appeal?

Thank you for your time and I apologize for the length of this post!

Micki

sorry Edgar, I felt the background would show how the Board is biased.

The initial "life" was changed to 6 months, so the additional 6 months is the issue.

The ByLaws state any disciplinary action is entitled to an appeal if filed in 30 days. Thank you for the specific area to look at.

It would be easy to just walk away with the treatment........but my love for Veterans won't allow it. I have volunteered for this Veteran Organization for many years and have made many friends. It is the friends I wish to see, not the Board.

It's a shame this Board has let personal feelings get in the way of the purpose of the organization.

It has put a huge split in the members.......and I hate that it has come to that.

But I will continue to fight for my right to be there.....not sure if I'll win, but I'm not giving up!

This Board is ignoring ByLaws left and right......they have eliminated the Judge Advocat position because he stood up for me, and now are handing out disciplinary actions without even allowing someone the right to defend themselves.

I cannot find anything in our ByLaws that deals with someone that is already barred, and the ByLaws state anything not covered reverts back to Roger's Rule of Order. That is why I came here, as I don't have one of the books.

It would be easy to just walk away with the treatment........but my love for Veterans won't allow it.

(snip snip)

The membership needs to stand together and take back the organization, if it's not too late. They need to become familiar with Robert's Rules, the bylaws, and the corrective measures that can be taken to reign in an out of control Board. It could even be that many of the actions they have taken recently (even eliminating the JA position) are not under their authority and in fact haven't actually happened. That is, their actions are null and void. But until the membership takes back their organization, nothing will happen. Once they are aligned in unity, change can happen. Until then, not much will.

. . . the ByLaws state anything not covered reverts back to Roger's Rule of Order. That is why I came here, as I don't have one of the books.

Well, you should get at least one of the books. And not Roger's Rule of Order.

And my first reply may have been a tad harsh but I think you went a bit too far with your second reference to the cone/crotch encounter. This is a pretty sympathetic forum but it's not "Dear Abby".

fHePQh

Just a thought: are special meetings allowed, and what is the procedure for removing Board members. Your friends in the organization might want to try to remove some Board members so that you can get back into the organization. Other then that you might want to talk to a lawyer about the issue - before the Board goes to court to get a restraining order.

Excuse me, everything else aside, a person touched your most private area, you should immediately file a complaint with the police department. Drunk or not, private parts are called private for a reason. Do not get into side conversations with the Police Department, tell them factually without any embellishment exactly what happened including the reason why you did not file an immediate complaint was the level of surprise and embarassment at how you were treated, now that you have had time to think you realize this must be documented and handled correctly. As for the association, if this is a group you absolutely wish to continue to be a part of I would seek professional guidance on navigating this group, you need somebody to remove the emotional elements and guide you with clear factual thinking. The fact that this board is protecting a person who would touch another inappropriately is a liability, what happens if this guy goes further with touching next time? What liability would the board have to their members if they did not pursue details pertaining to the situation and if necessary reprimand/corrective behavior. This is a toxic situation, either go to the mattresses or find a better association to affliate your self with, this is not healthy.

Archived