The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer Nominations

Guest Flametamer12

Last night my orginazation held nominations for officership. For each officer position, one person was nominated and seconded to be put on the ballot. Before elections were held we discussed the rules of the nomination. One rule discussed was if only one person is nominated, his name would be placed on that ballot. The vote process would then be a simple "yes" or "No" vote to elect that peron to office. Is this legal under Roberts Rules or do they get the position by acclimation?

If the bylaw require a vote by ballot, no lone nominee can be elected by acclamation.

Under the rules in RONR, Yes/No is not proper when the vote is being taken by ballot. The only proper way to vote against a candidate is to vote for someone else. List the lone candidate and a space for a write-in instead of yes/no.

so if i understand correctly, if only one person is nomianted they get the office by default because nobody else was nominated?

Not necessarily. If, as Mr. Mervosh noted, your bylaws require a ballot vote then you must have a ballot vote, even if there's only one nominee for a particular office. If, on the other hand, your bylaws don't require a ballot vote, then the chair can declare a sole nominee elected by acclamation.

We had nominations for our PTA in April, but did not have a voting session in May due to unforseen events regarding our President and Vice-President. Those who hold the nominations have been placed on the Executive Board, as the former President and VP are no longer actively participating. Can we go ahead - acting as the Executive Board- and make necessary plans that are required prior to the school year starting, and have the official election at the first general meeting?

Natalie - well, you can, but you don't have any authority to do so.

What is the term of office in your bylaws? Are the board members (presumably, at least Secretary and Treasurer) who were on the board before still on the board, not having had their replacement elected - or are they off at the date of the regularly scheduled May AGM?

If they are actually still on the board, can they vote to appoint a new President and VP, without holding an election? Check the bylaws for how open positions can be filled. Did they accept the resignations of the President and VP?

If these actually are the case, then you may well have some authority to act. If not, then you can take action, and hope that your actions are ratified by the general membership once school starts again. Keep in mind that your actions may not be approved, in which case you may be personally responsible for any money spent.

(and also, I just clued in that you're probabably not Guest_Flametamer12. In that case, it's best to start a new thread, rather than add comments to an existing one).

I have a question about this also. If you are an elected officer and all officers positions have expired can an officer of the Executive Board?

call a meeting of the membeship to elect officers or should be go by our bylaws which say we must appoint a Nomination Committee to elect officers. We have a ex president who says she is still in charge. Please help me with this very important issue.

Unfortunately, all of your questions turn on details in your bylaws, which we are not in position to deal with here.

If you anticipate that you might

have continuing parliamentary

difficulties or problems you

might want to get in touch with

a real live professional

parliamentarian in your area

(not virtual ones like us)

for consultations.

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929

Fax: 816-833-3893;

e-mail: hq@NAP2.org

<<www.parliamentarians.org>>

or

American Institute of Parliamentarians

550M Ritchie Highway #271

Severna Park, MD 21146

Phone: 888-664-0428

Fax: 410-544-4640

e-mail: aip@aipparl.org

<<www.aipparl.org>>

for a reference or information.

I have a question about this also. If you are an elected officer and all officers positions have expired can an officer of the Executive Board?

call a meeting of the membeship to elect officers or should be go by our bylaws which say we must appoint a Nomination Committee to elect officers. We have a ex president who says she is still in charge. Please help me with this very important issue.

Please start a new topic with your new question. A few more details may help. For starters, how is the term of office defined?

Archived