The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Restrictions on rescinding a motion

ldiaman

New member; first post. Here goes.

There are three restrictions prohibiting an organization from rescinding a motion. One is when something that has been done as a result of a motion and is impossible to undo.

Last year a 68 year old officer of the club resigned from his office and in order to by-pass the requirement that he pay the full years dues we made him an honorary member as a gesture of good will on behalf of the club.

As an un-intended consequence and as a result of this move certain actions had to be taken which resulted in him being made to resubmit his application, redo his 30 hours volunteer work and reset his consecutive years as an active member to zero. He was will to live with the 30 hours but resetting the consecutive years will not allow him to retire after this year as stated in the club's bylaws.

My question is: unlike something physical not being able to be changed (like unpouring a foundation, painting a building or cutting down a tree) is it your opinion that this scenario is "impossible to undo" or could an action like the one above be changed by a motion to rescind the original motion and as the president and chair of the regular monthly meeting would you call this motion to rescind out of order?

Doesn't look rescindable to me -- but without your bylaws (no, please don't post them - nobody will read them here) I can't be sure.

What you could do, however, is set out to amend the bylaws so that the person would become eligible for honorary membership in his current situation.

But, as I hardly need say in your situation, watch out for more uninteded consequences.

New member; first post.

Welcome to the fold (or as I like to call it the asylum).

Do your bylaws actually provide for honorary membership? If they don't than the whole thing is moot because the election to honorary membership was null and void to start off with (RONR pp. 463-464, p. 251 [a]). If the bylaws do provide for honorary membership it can be Rescinded though whether the clock being reset can be un-reset is more unclear so stay tuned.

New member; first post. Here goes.

There are three restrictions prohibiting an organization from rescinding a motion. One is when something that has been done as a result of a motion and is impossible to undo.

Last year a 68 year old officer of the club resigned from his office and in order to by-pass the requirement that he pay the full years dues we made him an honorary member as a gesture of good will on behalf of the club.

As an un-intended consequence and as a result of this move certain actions had to be taken which resulted in him being made to resubmit his application, redo his 30 hours volunteer work and reset his consecutive years as an active member to zero. He was will to live with the 30 hours but resetting the consecutive years will not allow him to retire after this year as stated in the club's bylaws.

My question is: unlike something physical not being able to be changed (like unpouring a foundation, painting a building or cutting down a tree) is it your opinion that this scenario is "impossible to undo" or could an action like the one above be changed by a motion to rescind the original motion and as the president and chair of the regular monthly meeting would you call this motion to rescind out of order?

Not only don't we know your bylaws, but you haven't even given us the exact wording of the actions that were taken. Unless your bylaws say so, making someone an honorary member doesn't by itself take away his ordinary membership, and neither does resigning from office.

I'm also not clear on exactly what happened when, and why, and what exactly you're trying to rescind.

In general, once accepted, resignations are considered to be completed actions, and cannot be rescinded.

But I don't understand why resigning from office would make you a non-member and I have no idea what the term "honorary member" means in your bylaws.

RONR only contains rules about members and non-members. The rules that govern the rights and obligations of "honorary" membership would have to be contained in your bylaws. If they're not there, then there is no such thing as an honorary member anyway.

I'm also not clear on exactly what happened when, and why, and what exactly you're trying to rescind.

In general, once accepted, resignations are considered to be completed actions, and cannot be rescinded.

But I don't understand why resigning from office would make you a non-member and I have no idea what the term "honorary member" means in your bylaws.

RONR only contains rules about members and non-members. The rules that govern the rights and obligations of "honorary" membership would have to be contained in your bylaws. If they're not there, then there is no such thing as an honorary member anyway.

If the bylaws of an organization authorize honorary officers or members and say nothing more about it, holders of that title have the right to attend meetings and to speak. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 463, ll. 17-25.

Archived