The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Placing meeting in recces without vote

Guest Jim

Can the President place the meeting into a recces without a motion, do to unruly crowd?

Well, if no member objects I suppose he could do it with "unanimous consent" but it's really up to the assembly, not any one member (not even the president) to determine whether to recess or not.

Now if the crowd is so unruly as to present a "clear and present danger", then I think you could argue that the president could unilaterally adjourn the meeting. But that should be an extraordinarily rare occurrence.

Note that, if this "crowd" includes non-members, the president can order them to leave the room.

Ideally, a good presiding officer would never let things go this far.

Thanks,

Yes you are right I am hoping that it will not get out of control. Yes only members will be in attendance. this a Union meeting and sometime with the past President things have gotten out of hand.

Chapter XX in RONR (11th ed), deals with disorder by members during a meeting. Not a bad read for your presiding officer and your members. Also, the rules governing debate is an excellent section to read as well. Sometimes debate on a motion is the starting point of the disorder.

Archived