The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2/3rds verses simple majority

Guest phil westcott

please let me try again, as a condition of a motion it is stipulated that any motion from the floor to raise the requirement to 2/3 rds will be ruled out of order by the moderator. The motion was to sell a piece of organization property. Under state law only a simple majority is required but a super majority is not precluded. Same answer?

please let me try again, as a condition of a motion it is stipulated that any motion from the floor to raise the requirement to 2/3 rds will be ruled out of order by the moderator. The motion was to sell a piece of organization property. Under state law only a simple majority is required but a super majority is not precluded. Same answer?

Oh goodness I hope the state law doesn't use the word "simple".......but no matter, no motion is in order that conflicts with a procedural rule in statute. RONR (11th ed.) p. 263. I don't know if this motion conflicts with it, but that's the rule in RONR.

If state statute didn't govern the matter, we might have a different answer.

You may want to read this earlier thread for a somewhat related discussion:

However, your statement that 'as a condition of a motion it is stipulated...' is a bit puzzling -- I echo Edgar's questions.

So just to clarify in my own mind (and forgive me if this is terrifically obvious):

A motion to do such and such and require a 2/3 vote to pass (where normally a majority is required) is out of order,

But a motion to suspend the rule requiring a majority and instead requiring a 2/3 vote, made before the original motion is voted on, is proper?

(leaving out of the discussion for now the possibility that a law exists governing the voting threshold)

Any motion to raise the requirement for passing Proposal A would amount to a motion to Suspend the Rules, and would itself require a 2/3 vote. Since those who favor Proposal A would presumably vote against the higher threshold, if they were in the majority, the motion to raise the threshold would surely fail. If they were not in the majority, Proposal A itself would surely fail.

So while possible, it would no doubt be pointless.

Archived