The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vote after adjournment

Guest kathy kennedy

At a Special General Meeting a medical emergency occurred involving an owner who collapsed at 8:15 . The meeting was adjourned until the emergency personnel left .

The meeting was reconvened at 8:50 and the Strata Council decided it was time to proceed with voting to discuss options.

Should the council have called another meeting on another date and taken the vote then ?

Thanks for your help .

Was the meeting declared adjourned or was there some qualification?

"adjourned until the medical personnel left"

If the motion to adjourn actually contained some such provision, even with the exact future time left unstated (because it was unknown, presumably), then the meeting could come back to life (i.e. be called to order) after the medical personnel left. Couldn't it?

"adjourned until the medical personnel left"

If the motion to adjourn actually contained some such provision, even with the exact future time left unstated (because it was unknown, presumably), then the meeting could come back to life (i.e. be called to order) after the medical personnel left. Couldn't it?

I'd guess there wasn't a motion given the emergency, and under the stated circumstances, whatever the intent was when it was when the adjournment was agreed to (or not objected to) should stand.

At a Special General Meeting a medical emergency occurred involving an owner who collapsed at 8:15 . The meeting was adjourned until the emergency personnel left .

The meeting was reconvened at 8:50 and the Strata Council decided it was time to proceed with voting to discuss options.

I'm not sure if you're asking about the validity of calling the meeting to order at 8:50 or if this is just the background information for the next question. Anyway, the wording and the intent matter. It very well could have been properly adjourned to a later time: the time when the emergency personnel left. I imagine this is a fairly easy parliamentary question to answer, except that a lack of facts may make it impossible to answer.

Should the council have called another meeting on another date and taken the vote then ?

Thanks for your help .

Now, if you asking if a valid continuation of the session should have been adjourned, due to the fact that a medical emergency removed one of its members, the answer is that RONR doesn't require this. It would be up to the assembly.

Archived