The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion that exceeds group mission

kenfree

Hi all....here's the scenario: A member makes a motion, which is seconded. During the discussion, another member raises a point of order, that the motion in question is beyond the agreed mission of the group.

Supposing that the chair rules in the affirmative, what follows from this?

1) Is the motioin therefore illicit, and should be dismissed?

2) Does the motion therefore require a super-majority to pass?

Thanks in advance for any help on this....

To introduce it. However, once discussion has started on the motion, it is too late for a point of order.

Not so, according to statements by Dan H. anyway. The motion that was "beyond the agreed mission", if adopted, would set up a continuing breach (p. 251, a) ). This, per Dan, means that the motion is exempt from the "once debate starts it is too late to raise a point of order" rule. Indeed any motion that would result in a continuing breach is exempt from that "too late" rule.

The book is not exactly transparent on this point, however. I think it is a consequence of p. 250 lines 21-23 in that it is not the "parliamentary situation" that is causing the breach of order but the content of the motion itself.

But I await further explication from others.

Returning to kenfree's original question: if the chair rules the motion out of order (which I gather is what happened) and there is no appeal overturning the chair, then that is the end of it. The motion should just be "dismissed", using kenfree's good word.

The proponents of the motion could then move for the consideration (or introduction) of the motion, per p. 113, 343, or 571, which, if adopted by the required 2/3 vote, would then allow the "beyond the agreed mission" motion to be properly introduced and considered. But it is clearly a two-step process.

John, RONR says no motion can be introduced that is outside the object of the society or assembly as defined in the bylaws unless by a two-thirds vote the body agrees to its consideration. That leads me to believe the bolded portion of the rule is suspendable, and if it is suspendable, how can it become a continuing breach of the rules?

I'd be happy to have Dan clarify what you said he said. :)

Not so, according to statements by Dan H. anyway. The motion that was "beyond the agreed mission", if adopted, would set up a continuing breach (p. 251, a) ). This, per Dan, means that the motion is exempt from the "once debate starts it is too late to raise a point of order" rule. Indeed any motion that would result in a continuing breach is exempt from that "too late" rule.

The book is not exactly transparent on this point, however. I think it is a consequence of p. 250 lines 21-23 in that it is not the "parliamentary situation" that is causing the breach of order but the content of the motion itself.

But I await further explication from others.

Returning to kenfree's original question: if the chair rules the motion out of order (which I gather is what happened) and there is no appeal overturning the chair, then that is the end of it. The motion should just be "dismissed", using kenfree's good word.

The proponents of the motion could then move for the consideration (or introduction) of the motion, per p. 113, 343, or 571, which, if adopted by the required 2/3 vote, would then allow the "beyond the agreed mission" motion to be properly introduced and considered. But it is clearly a two-step process.

John, since I have no present recollection of having made these statements, and no way of reviewing the context in which they were made (if they were made), I would appreciate your letting me know where they may be found.

Dan H. just wrote: "I would appreciate your letting me know where they may be found."

For openers, deep in the recesses of my mind. I'll see if I can find it here on this board, but meanwhile....

Perhaps we can resurrect your opinion by my restating the assertion I made that brought forth (my recollection of) your view of the matter - then you can express your view clearly again...

Situation: A motion has been made, seconded, stated, that, if it was adopted, would clearly and unequivocally put a continuing breach (CB) in place. It doesn't matter which of the criteria for a CB on p. 251 is about to be violated. Debate then gets under way without any timely point of order being made, perhaps because no one realizes that there is a danger of a CB being made. Note that all the p. 251 criteria involve motions that have been adopted;there is no CB in just talking about the motion. Eventually, during the debate, someone realizes the potential violation if the motion is passed and raises the point of order that the motion is itself out of order.

p. 250, lines 23-25 are clear as a bell that it is now "too late" to raise the point of order "no matter how clearly out of order the motion may be".

Hence, even a potential CB motion cannot be "point-of-ordered" away, but has to be disposed of via standard mechanisms: postpone indef., adopt/defeat, &c. The potential CB motion could also be amended such that it would no longer be a problematic motion, but that is not the point of my assertion about point of order.

End of my contention. Over to you, Dan.

Dan H. just wrote: "I would appreciate your letting me know where they may be found."

For openers, deep in the recesses of my mind. I'll see if I can find it here on this board, but meanwhile....

Perhaps we can resurrect your opinion by my restating the assertion I made that brought forth (my recollection of) your view of the matter - then you can express your view clearly again...

Situation: A motion has been made, seconded, stated, that, if it was adopted, would clearly and unequivocally put a continuing breach (CB) in place. It doesn't matter which of the criteria for a CB on p. 251 is about to be violated. Debate then gets under way without any timely point of order being made, perhaps because no one realizes that there is a danger of a CB being made. Note that all the p. 251 criteria involve motions that have been adopted;there is no CB in just talking about the motion. Eventually, during the debate, someone realizes the potential violation if the motion is passed and raises the point of order that the motion is itself out of order.

p. 250, lines 23-25 are clear as a bell that it is now "too late" to raise the point of order "no matter how clearly out of order the motion may be".

Hence, even a potential CB motion cannot be "point-of-ordered" away, but has to be disposed of via standard mechanisms: postpone indef., adopt/defeat, &c. The potential CB motion could also be amended such that it would no longer be a problematic motion, but that is not the point of my assertion about point of order.

End of my contention. Over to you, Dan.

This particular contention of yours is erroneous, and I have previously said so. However, my saying (and having said) that this contention is erroneous is quite different from my saying what, in this thread, you claim that I have said. Please be more careful.

Jumping in for Dan (which I do all the time, just to annoy him): yes, it is proper. In effect any potential CB motion is exempt from the "if debate, then too late" rule on p. 250.

When I first read Dan's correction of my assertion (some time ago - maybe I can find it yet), I promptly revised my view and decided (a wise thing to do) to agree with him. So we have been in agreement all along. However, I would still like to see the reasoning behind his statement.

I assume (maybe wrongly) that this comment is not directed specifically at me. The detour from the original poster's question started long before my query in post #11 :) .

In my opinion if the original poster reads post # 2 by Chris and #4 by Sean he should have his answer, and you might have yours.

Dan: I feel that this decision might be less confusing were you just a little more direct sometimes in pointing out what the error in John's reasoning is.

John: I do not believe this to be an (a)-class breach to begin with. Nowhere in the typical organization's bylaws is there a rule stating that an organization may carry out business only to its purpose. If it were, then it would surely be out of order for the assembly to do so, even by two-thirds vote. In that circumstance, a motion cannot constitute a continuing breach solely by reason of being beyond the society's objects, and so, once discussion begins on the motion, it is too late to raise a point of order regarding it.

John, I don't know if this is the correct way to view it, but try this - I think RONR is saying:

1) Rule in RONR - No motion can be introduced that is outside the object of the society or assembly as defined in the bylaws.....

2) (continuing on in the same sentence) But the aforementioned rule is suspendable and you can introduce it if, in essence, the rules are suspended to permit it (2/3 vote required)

If the rule is suspendable, it's violation cannot cause a continuing breach, and a timely point of order is required.

I hope that makes sense even if you disagree :)

How is it that making a motion that conflicts with the bylaws, the objects of the association in particular, without first adopting (by 2/3) a motion to authorize its introduction (p. 113, and others), is not covered by p. 251 a)?

John, you have to recognize the difference between a motion which merely proposes action which is outside the scope of an organization’s object and one which actually conflicts with it.

It is, of course, conceivable that an organization’s object, as stated in its bylaws, may be worded in such a way that a proposed motion, rather than merely proposing action which is outside its scope, actually conflicts with it, but such does not appear to be the case in the facts presented here.

Archived