The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Debbie

Hello all,

Our question is the following: If a person is on a leave of absence (paid or unpaid) or on sabbatical, is that person still considered part of the membership of the organization (in this case, a Faculty Congress)?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

And to be totally clear, "leave of absence" is not described or defined in RONR, so you are completely on your own.

That's exactly right, but we might stretch the point just a little, and speculate that, in a society where attendance is a duty of membership, one can request to be excused from that duty. So, a member could conceivably request leave to be absent.

If granted, any penalty prescribed for unexcused absences would then not pertain.

But nothing in RONR would suggest that the rights of membership would be removed by granting such a request. That would have to be some special provision in the bylaws.

Whether leave of absence has any effect on membership is up to your organization's custom rules.

So, a member could conceivably request leave to be absent. If granted, any penalty prescribed for unexcused absences would then not pertain. But nothing in RONR would suggest that the rights of membership would be removed by granting such a request. That would have to be some special provision in the bylaws.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we are in violent agreement. ;)

Archived