The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

Guest Arnold Gelderman

Guest Arnold Gelderman

The Board of a sports club meets; 6 members are present and 5 is a quorum. Subject X comes up for discussion and vote. Two members excuse themselves and leave the room and return when X has been voted on. The object of their action is rather than being outvoted they leave the meeting so that there is no quorum and no binding vote can be taken on X.

Does this work? Or is there still a quorum because they attended the meeting from the start?

The Board of a sports club meets; 6 members are present and 5 is a quorum. Subject X comes up for discussion and vote. Two members excuse themselves and leave the room and return when X has been voted on. The object of their action is rather than being outvoted they leave the meeting so that there is no quorum and no binding vote can be taken on X.

Does this work? Or is there still a quorum because they attended the meeting from the start?

No, once a quorum is not present, the conduct of business must stop. If there is clear and convincing proof that a quorum was not present (and it sounds like there is) then business conducted is null and void.

Sounds like i have the answer to my question when we have our Board Meeting and at the start we will have a quorum but as the night moves on bod members leave and when we get to our New Business and old business and are making motions we dont have a quorum, so since we dont have a quorum then the motions made are null and void correct?? Thanks for your help.

Sounds like i have the answer to my question when we have our Board Meeting and at the start we will have a quorum but as the night moves on bod members leave and when we get to our New Business and old business and are making motions we dont have a quorum, so since we dont have a quorum then the motions made are null and void correct?? Thanks for your help.

The adopted ones are but don't get to that point.....it is the duty of the presiding officer when he notices a quorum is not present to not allow any of that stuff to come before the Board. If he's purposefully ignoring that duty you have a bigger problem, but if he simply doesn't notice, raise a point of order next time it happens.

Archived