The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reporting on Reports

Guest Laura Hutton

Our committee and staff members submit written reports at our board meetings, which they read aloud and then submit to me to file (as a piece of paper) with the minutes. In the minutes, instead of re-writing the information, I refer to attachments of the minutes and state the title of the document.

Do these reports need to be kept as separate documents with the minutes, or can the members report verbally, and then submit their report, typed, for me to submit as their report in the actual text of the minutes?

Thanks!

Do these reports need to be kept as separate documents with the minutes, or can the members report verbally, and then submit their report, typed, for me to submit as their report in the actual text of the minutes?

You file the reports with other reports and file the minutes with the other minutes. The minutes should not contain the text of the report, only that the report was presented.

So how do I properly cite the report as an attachment to the minutes? Is it an attachment?

When looking through examples of meeting minutes I see paragraphs like:

"Mr. Jones reported that the museum hosted 658 children in off-site community outreach and 1,574 patrons on-site this month, etc."

Is this a (hypothetical) verbal report that Mr. Jones gave? Was Mr. Jones expected to submit this information in writing as well?

Is this a (hypothetical) verbal report that Mr. Jones gave? Was Mr. Jones expected to submit this information in writing as well?

It might have been (only) an oral report or it might have been a brief oral summary of a written report that was submitted. In any case, you don't need to attach anything to the minutes, just record that the report was presented (either orally or in writing or both). If someone wants to read the report they can ask the secretary (who will have filed it with the other reports).

The sample minutes in RONR include the following paragraph:

"The report of the Program Committee was received and placed on file."

Short and sweet.

Archived