The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Point of Order

Guest Teddydee

The Chair shouldn't recognize a Point of Order (or any attempt to be recognized) from a nonmember (unless there is some rule that gives nonmembers some rights). As for members the Chair can't ignore a Point of Order unless it is dilatory (though as Chair I would be very hesitant to consider a Point of Order dilatory unless I was 100% certain that there is no merit to it and it was being made for the purpose of obstructing business and the members would back me up). Also, see RONR pp. 650-651 for how the assembly should react to the Chair (improperly) ignoring a Point of Order.

I think Edgar hits the point exactly. All the Chairman has to do is stand that he believes that the Point of Order is not well taken, and unless the assembly over rules him/her, the decision stands and this can all be dealt with in a matter of about a minute. Of course, if the same member keeps getting up with the same type of Point of Order (i.e. let's say the member makes a Point of Order about every motion), then the members could simply censure the particular member.

May a point of order not be recognized by the chair?

A member need not gain recognition in order to raise a point of order. It may be raised even when another has the floor.

Once raised, the chair must rule on it (unless it is frivolous or dilatory). And whatever the chair's ruling, it is subject to appeal by any two members (mover; seconder), which places the question before the assembly for decision by majority vote. (A tie vote sustains the chair's ruling.)

Archived