The Official RONR Q & A Forums

presidential voting

Guest Joey B

At our recent semi annual meeting the mailed in ballots from a district were counted and a winner was declared. We then had a premembership meeting with executive committee and just the results was declared. We then had our membership meeting and the winner was installed in office. The newly elected board was having a meeting following the membership meeting and I asked for a report on what the vote was. They said they counted the ballots and it was a tie. So, they notified the President to break the tie. They keep saying the President CANT vote which is incorrect so they asked the President to declare who he voted for and then pulled the ballot and declared the other person the winner.

This all was done on a tuesday, today is friday three days after the fact. Can a point of order be raised and the secretary be ordered to resubmit ballots in the mail to the district, this time not mailing one to the President so he can wait to vote in case of a tie or to make a tie at that point whichever they decide?

This just makes me feel "off" if I do not say something here to the board. My feeling is once the vote was counted and the president had their vote included to make a tie the election should have been completed and new ballots would have to be issued. Going back and pulling the Presidents vote after the fact seems odd. The presidents friend was one of the people running and it actually hurt his friends chances at being elected to the board.

Going back and pulling the President's vote after the fact seems odd.

To say the least.

For one thing, if the ballots were properly prepared, it should be impossible to identify anyone's particular ballot. And there's no guarantee that the president voted for whom he said he voted for.

I'd say you have, at best, an incomplete election and need to conduct additional rounds of voting. Appoint a tellers committee and tell the executive committee and the board to butt out.

Archived