The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Little Bob

Is there something that says that Board Memebers can't come together and simply discuss topics and it's history? New Board Members appear every year so I, as President, schedule a work session when just Board Members can sit down and update new people about the developement. No voting, no directing, just getting new members up to speed. I typically have one every 5 months. It's not the right time during a Board Meeting to do this?

Is there something that says that Board Memebers can't come together and simply discuss topics and it's history? New Board Members appear every year so I, as President, schedule a work session when just Board Members can sit down and update new people about the developement. No voting, no directing, just getting new members up to speed. I typically have one every 5 months. It's not the right time during a Board Meeting to do this?

There is no rule in RONR that prohibits members of a board (or of any body) to get together and have discussions outside of a meeting. This gathering will not be the "board," though; it will simply be members of the board congregating, and it cannot transact any business as the board.

RONR has no rules against members gathering outside of a meeting context... to discuss, socialize, get 'up to speed', whatever.

It's just that such a gathering is NOT a meeting, and cannot conduct business as if it were a meeting.

Certain public bodies are subject to so-called sunshine laws, and in those cases, getting together informally to chat can pose a problem; however, these laws wouldn't apply to a typical private club or society, which is the sort of organization people usually talk about on this forum.

Is there something that says that Board Members can't come together and simply discuss topics and it's history?

Nope.

New Board Members appear every year so I, as President, schedule a work session when just Board Members can sit down and update new people about the development. No voting, no directing, just getting new members up to speed.

Nothing wrong with that.

Archived