The Official RONR Q & A Forums

retention of paper ballots

Guest Helene Fuchs

I would like to know how long paper ballots should be held. right now we keep our voting tallies for 4 years and the former president of our HOA keeps piling up the old paper ballots. I am the new president and feel that if there was no protest, or recount requested, we can shred the paper ballots one year after voting..can you help and advise?

I would like to know how long paper ballots should be held. right now we keep our voting tallies for 4 years and the former president of our HOA keeps piling up the old paper ballots. I am the new president and feel that if there was no protest, or recount requested, we can shred the paper ballots one year after voting..can you help and advise?

"After completion of an election or balloting on a motion, unless the voting body directs otherwise, the tellers place the ballots and tally sheets in the custody of the secretary, who keeps them under seal until the time within which a recount may be ordered expires, and the destroys them. A recount may be ordered by the voting body, by a majority vote, at the same session at which the voting result was announced, or at the next regular session if that session is held within a quarterly time interval." See RONR (11th ed.), p. 418, l. 32 - p. 419, l. 9.

Any procedural rules contained in state laws that apply to your association would supersede the rules of RONR.

Could a special meeting be called for a recount? I'm going with no, for the moment, but thought I'd ask.

Yes, that's actually covered by the next sentence in RONR, following the last sentence that I plagiarized. I was going to type it as well, but my thumb was getting tired.

Anyway, the special meeting would have to be within a quarterly time interval, and it would have to take place before the next regular meeting.

You got an RONR citation for that, or somehow disagree with Tim and Edgar, or you're just winging in with lesser authorities?

Capcha try 2.

Actually, I believe I can come up with a RONR citation for that.

As noted, laying is a transitive verb, as in laying a question on the table (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 213, lines 25-26). Lying is an intransitive verb, so after a question has been laid on the table, the question is lying on the table (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 214, lines 29-33). So J. J. was, presumably, writing his articles while lying in bed.

We cannot confirm this, of course, but as others have noted, if J. J. did indeed mean laying, then this is rather impressive for several reasons, including his ability to multitask. :)

Archived