The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest guest

Why? Could be a viva voce election (RONR, p. 442) but that would be a mis-use of the system, too, when there is only one candidate.

The (implicit) RONR "philosophy" (if that isn't too grand a word) is that "You gotta have officers, if the bylaws say so, so if there's only one person running, he is it!"

And if you don't like that person, nominate someone else!

Why? Could be a viva voce election (RONR, p. 442) but that would be a mis-use of the system, too, when there is only one candidate.

The (implicit) RONR "philosophy" (if that isn't too grand a word) is that "You gotta have officers, if the bylaws say so, so if there's only one person running, he is it!"

And if you don't like that person, nominate someone else!

Or at least write in someone else's name. Even Snoopy.

Nope - can't (properly) vote for Snoopy any more. The 10th ed (p. 402) did mention voting for "fictional characters" (doing such generated an illegal vote) but no more. "Fictional Characters" are gone from the RONR universe.

I suppose a vote for Snoopy would be an abstention now, but the book doesn't say.

If on a board, someone is running unopposed and a yes or no vote is taken and the no votes are the majority, does that mean that the person is not elected to office?

Well, it sure seems that way, doesn't it? So, what happened after that?

Since there was only one nominee, and since your bylaws apparently don't require a ballot vote for elections, what should have happened is the chair would have announced the nominee elected by "acclamation" (or unanimous consent). If no other nominations were forthcoming, one possibility would have been for a motion to take a ballot vote to be adopted (by majority vote), and then members could write in another person's name on the ballot. If another person had received a majority of write-in votes, he would be elected.

It sounds like you have an incomplete election and need to hold another meeting to finish this business. When is your next regular meeting scheduled? Do your bylaws allow for Special Meetings to be called?

The 10th ed (p. 402) did mention voting for "fictional characters" (doing such generated an illegal vote) but no more. "Fictional Characters" are gone from the RONR universe.

Ah, but how do you reliably distinguish between a fictional character and an ineligible candidate (such as a non-member when the bylaws require that officers be members)? Maybe "Snoppy" would be fairly obvious, but some other names might not be. For example, one might assume that "Donald Duck" is a fictioonal character; but in fact I am aware of at least one real person with that name.

Nope - can't (properly) vote for Snoopy any more. The 10th ed (p. 402) did mention voting for "fictional characters" (doing such generated an illegal vote) but no more. "Fictional Characters" are gone from the RONR universe.

I suppose a vote for Snoopy would be an abstention now, but the book doesn't say.

So if I voted for the "Lone Ranger." would that be considered an unidentifiable candidate?

Ah, but how do you reliably distinguish between a fictional character and an ineligible candidate (such as a non-member when the bylaws require that officers be members)?

So if I voted for the "Lone Ranger." would that be considered an unidentifiable candidate?

Beats me.

By (implicitly) disallowing a vote for a fictional character or any other patently absurd "candidate" (and not saying what happens if you vote for one anyway), the book and the A-Team appear to have dug themselves a little logic-hole that needs to be re-filled in the 12th edition.

Beats me.

By (implicitly) disallowing a vote for a fictional character or any other patently absurd "candidate" (and not saying what happens if you vote for one anyway), the book and the A-Team appear to have dug themselves a little logic-hole that needs to be re-filled in the 12th edition.

This bemoaning of the removal of "a fictional character" from the text is nothing but more silliness, worthy of a similar fate. :)

Archived