The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Having two votes

Guest Puzzled

A recent election went a different direction than expected.

We have a person who was elected as a Board member. By the Bylaws and the election he has the option to fill the ex-officio postion as Immediate Past President with voting privledges.

The Bylaws do not reflect that a person could have only one vote.

Does ROR allow an individual on the Board of Directors to exercise two votes if qualified?

By the Bylaws and the election he has the option to fill the ex-officio postion as Immediate Past President with voting privleges.

If the ex-officio position is defined in the bylaws, there are no "options". But you might want to re-evaluate that position since most here think it's a particularly bad idea. What if the immediate past president was a crook? Do you still want him on the board?

Hi, I have been a member of a board of directors for the past 12 years. At our last election, I was elected to the board of directors and since I am the immediate past president I also have the option of being an ex-officio member with full voting rights. My question is: Can I cast two votes, one as an elected board member and one as an ex-officio member. Our bylaws are silent on the issue.

Hi, I have been a member of a board of directors for the past 12 years. At our last election, I was elected to the board of directors and since I am the immediate past president I also have the option of being an ex-officio member with full voting rights. My question is: Can I cast two votes, one as an elected board member and one as an ex-officio member. Our bylaws are silent on the issue.

Not under the rules in RONR, as Chris already noted.

Archived