The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correcting Minutes

Guest CorporateSec

I have a question regarding correcting minutes.

When the Board or a Committee goes to approve the minutes of a previous meeting and there is a correction/error (typo primarily) in the minutes, do the actual minutes of the previous meeting have to be updated and replaced in our minute book?

i.e. Moved by___ and seconded by ___ to approve the minutes of Jan1/13 with the following correction - Agenda item #3 - replace the word "nothing" with "noting". CARRIED.

Do the Jan 1/13 minutes actually have to be updated and replaced or do the minutes of this meeting supercede it?

Just need some clarification.

Thank you.

Thank you George, I have read that and to me it is still not apparent to me, sorry! I have found something else online:

"Minutes of Meeting B should show what corrections were ordered in the minutes of Meeting A.

The original minutes of Meeting A should be corrected so that the error remains apparent.

Retail original version of Meeting A in the minutes book."

Is this correct?

Thank you George, I have read that and to me it is still not apparent to me, sorry! I have found something else online:

"Minutes of Meeting B should show what corrections were ordered in the minutes of Meeting A.

The original minutes of Meeting A should be corrected so that the error remains apparent.

Retail original version of Meeting A in the minutes book."

Is this correct?

I can barely understand it but goodness gracious it looks wrong :)

Here is what the FAQ written by the RONR Authors says: "If corrections to minutes are made at the time when those minutes are originally submitted for approval, such corrections are made in the text of the minutes being approved. The minutes of the meeting at which the corrections are made should merely indicate that the minutes were approved “as corrected,” without specifying what the correction was."

Example: At the January monthly meeting, December's minutes are being approved. All corrections that are agreed to with regards to December's minutes are made to the text of December's minutes, and a clean copy is placed in the minute book after their approval. January's minutes will simply note the minutes of the December meeting were approved "as corrected" and not detail what those corrections were.

Is the example helpful?

Archived