The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can meetings be recorded?

Guest Guest_Louie

We are a School Site Council and would like to know if we can prevent a member from recording a meeting even though the law allows recording in public meetings. It is causing devisiveness and uncomfortability. Its done as an intimidation and no reason for the recording is explained.

We are a School Site Council and would like to know if we can prevent a member from recording a meeting even though the law allows recording in public meetings. It is causing devisiveness and uncomfortability. Its done as an intimidation and no reason for the recording is explained.

Ask a lawyer.

If the law wasn't involved, RONR would require majority approval to record the meeting.

RONR is silent on whether a meeting may be recorded. Thus, if there is no rule or custom on the subject, I think the meeting could be recorded until the assembly ordered otherwise.

Thank you. However, if we adopted the Robert's Rules for our counsil, is there a way to take it to a vote? Can we adopt a rule specifically for our council?

Applicable law supersedes Robert's Rules. You should consult a lawyer to determine what your options are under the law.

Well, is your Council meeting a "public meeting"? If the law does allow recording, then that would supersede your own rules.

But if it's okay to have people come to the meeting, watch, and listen (presumably without an explanation), why would recording it be intimidating to you?

If the law isn't involved, why isn't the opposite true........adopting a rule permitting it means it's not permitted and I don't know where RONR says that.

Right - I overstated things.

However... new to the 11th (p. 265, l.29) is a passing reference to recording device rules as (suspendable) standing rules, suggesting that it is fair game to adopt standing rules (by majority, of course) to lay out what the association wants with respect to recordings (and lots of other administrative details) if the association thinks it worth stating its position.

What Louie's School Board does adopt may depend on the details of what Louie's School Board laws may be.

Thank you all for your advice. I am a parent who is new to the council and to RONR. The manner in which the recordings are taking place has upset most of the board and guests. It is my understanding that it has never been done before. We have not been given any explanation by this person as to why the meetings are being recorded other than "the law allows it and I'm going to do it."

This has created a distrust, conflict, and division amongst the members and, for some unknown reason, parents are reluctant to participate because they are being recorded. They find it intimidating. Since we are operating under Robert's, I was looking for a way to take it to a vote so we can move on and come together as a school council.

Again, thank you for your feedback as I learn more...

Archived