The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions

Guest Debra Donkersloot

Guest Debra Donkersloot

can a motion that is made seconded and passed at a meeting, then brought up again at the next meeting to rescind but fails to rescind,then brought up again at a third meeting to rescind and then passes, be honored. Question I guess is how many times can a motion that was made be brought again in the same callendar year with the same board.

Debbie

So a motion that has been passed or rescinded can be challenged at every single meeting. This seems repetitive.

A motion that has been adopted (i.e. passed) can often be rescinded (or otherwise amended) at a future meeting. Things change and the assembly is free to adapt its decisions to address those changes.

A motion that has been rescinded cant be "challenged" (or otherwise amended) because, once rescinded, there's nothing left to challenge.

A motion that was defeated can be "renewed" (made again as if never having been made).

What may be confusing here is that some of the replies are referring to renewing a (defeated) motion to rescind.

Is the Secretary or any other officer, except the president or presiding official of a meeting, precluded from putting a motion before the membership? I know the presiding officer can not make a motion, or vote up or down unless there is a tie, but our president in today's meeting stated that no elected official can make a motion to floor. Is this correct?

Is the Secretary or any other officer, except the president or presiding official of a meeting, precluded from putting a motion before the membership? I know the presiding officer can not make a motion, or vote up or down unless there is a tie, but our president in today's meeting stated that no elected official can make a motion to floor. Is this correct?

The chair is mistaken. All officers except the chair may participate fully in the assembly's deliberations, including to make motions.

Your statements about the presiding officer are also a bit off. The chair should not vote unless his vote would affect the result, which is not quite the same as "unless there is a tie." See FAQ #1 for more information. The chair also could make a motion, although he should rarely do so, and if he does he should relinquish the chair until the main question is disposed of.

Lastly, for future reference, it is best to start a new thread to ask a new question.

• 7 months later...

Archived