The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ex Officio Committee Members as Chairmen

Guest Robb S.

I am the Parliamentarian of my fraternity. About a year ago, we added ex officio members to our committees (such as the Treasure on the Fundraising and Finance Committee). My question is, are these ex officio members allowed to head the committee itself? Many of the committee heads are ex officio members, which I don't think should be the case, however, I do think positions such as Treasurer, Historian, Pledgemaster, etc... should head the committee where most of their work is taking place. I honestly think we need to get rid of all of our ex officio committee members because I don't really see a point in having them. If anybody has had similar issues and can back me up, I'd really appreciate it.

About a year ago, we added ex officio members to our committees (such as the Treasure on the Fundraising and Finance Committee). My question is, are these ex officio members allowed to head the committee itself?

Yes, unless your rules provide otherwise.

Many of the committee heads are ex officio members, which I don't think should be the case, however, I do think positions such as Treasurer, Historian, Pledgemaster, etc... should head the committee where most of their work is taking place. I honestly think we need to get rid of all of our ex officio committee members because I don't really see a point in having them. If anybody has had similar issues and can back me up, I'd really appreciate it.

Whether (and how) your organization should change its rules about ex officio members is beyond the scope of RONR and this forum. Perhaps you could speak with similar organizations about how they handle this issue.

The important thing to remember is that ex officio only describes how they became a member.

After that, baring anything else, they are a member just like any other member and have same rights.

Also, be aware that such members may "instantly" become non-members if they no longer have the outside position. Are these ex-officio members not "regular" members of the fraternity?

Are these ex-officio members not "regular" members of the fraternity?

Yes they. In our Bylaws, it states that each Brother is required to serve on at least one committee. Once elections take place, new officers immediately take the responsibilities of their position, which would mean that, for instance, the old Treasurer would no longer be on the committee, which could cause problems. Thanks.

Well, he'd no longer be on the committee automatically but there's no reason he couldn't be appointed to the committee.

The issue with that is, we have a maximum number of members allowed on a committee. Just using our Treasurer as an example, he is one of the only ex-officio members that is not the head of their assigned committee. If that committee is maxed out at 6 (not including him) and somebody from outside of that committee is elected as Treasurer, he will no longer be a member of that committee, or any committee. This would, in turn, make him delinquent, which isn't really his fault at all.

Archived