The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

Guest Frank Combs

The bylaws of an association state "The president shall be an ex oficio member of all committees except the nominating committee". The Rules state that the President should not be a member of the Nominating committee.

I would interpret that to mean that while the President is not a member by virtue of his/her status he/she is not prohibited from being a member of the Nomimnating committee and may be so if duly elected.

The By-laws over rule anything in RONR, and if the By-laws clearly state that the President shall be an ex-officio member of all Committees EXCEPT the Nominating Committee, then the President cannot be a member of Nominating Comittee.

.....automatically by virtue of his office, you mean? He can certainly be elected to it and in doing so, no conflict would exist as far as RONR is concerned.

True. Okay I re-read the issue, and yes the By-laws stop the President from being on the Nominating Committee automatically. But at the same time I guess the issue for me is that if the members do not have a problem with the President being on the Nominating Committee then the restriction should be removed. But if this is a one off situation (i.e. the members want the person who just happens to be the current President to be on the Nominating Committee, not the President - the officer - on the Committee) then there is no point amending the By-laws.

The bylaws of an association state "The president shall be an ex oficio member of all committees except the nominating committee". The Rules state that the President should not be a member of the Nominating committee.

I would interpret that to mean that while the President is not a member by virtue of his/her status he/she is not prohibited from being a member of the Nomimnating committee and may be so if duly elected.

No, it would just be a bad idea.

Archived