The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendability of a presentation or a report

Steven P

Good day. 

One of our committee's will be bringing a motion to approve facility improvements.  The motion references a presentation that will provide the specifics of the improvements (I can provide a text of the motion, if necessary).

My question is, since the motion refers to the presentation but does not list the improvements specifically, does the assembly under RONR have the ability to amend the presentation?

The committee is looking for an up or down vote on the presented improvements.

Good day. 

One of our committee's will be bringing a motion to approve facility improvements.  The motion references a presentation that will provide the specifics of the improvements (I can provide a text of the motion, if necessary).

My question is, since the motion refers to the presentation but does not list the improvements specifically, does the assembly under RONR have the ability to amend the presentation?

The committee is looking for an up or down vote on the presented improvements.

You can't amend their report, but you can amend any main motion that arises out of the report, yes.  What the committee is looking for is procedurally irrelevant.

Good day, Dr. Stackpole and Mr. Mervosh.

Thank you for the responses.

It appears that in the current form, the assembly can either accept or reject to motion as no motions to amend will be in order as the text of the motion does not have the improvements listed so there is nothing to amend

This is a properly called special meeting for the purpose of disposing of this single question.

My fault as I chair the meetings. The committee chair and our pastor had sent this motion past me to see if there were any procedural issues with it and I did not see any from an RONR standpoint.

The assembly can defeat the motion which will have the same effect as sending it back to the committee.

Debate can include any relevant points from the presentation and then the assembly can decide yes or no.

... The assembly can either accept or reject to motion as no motions to amend will be in order as the text of the motion does not have the improvements listed so there is nothing to amend

Assuming you are describing a motion "to approve the improvements in Exhibit A", for instance, where this exhibit is a slide presentation, or what have you--surely this motion can be amended "...to approve the following improvements, to wit ..."?

My fault as I chair the meetings. The committee chair and our pastor had sent this motion past me to see if there were any procedural issues with it and I did not see any from an RONR standpoint.

The assembly can defeat the motion which will have the same effect as sending it back to the committee.

Debate can include any relevant points from the presentation and then the assembly can decide yes or no.

Why are you giving up on the possibility of amending the committee's report, which, I gather, the motion proposes (or will propose) be adopted?

Good day, Dr. Stackpole and Mr. Mervosh.

Thank you for the responses.

It appears that in the current form, the assembly can either accept or reject to motion as no motions to amend will be in order as the text of the motion does not have the improvements listed so there is nothing to amend

This is a properly called special meeting for the purpose of disposing of this single question.

It doesn't appear that way to me. 

What is to prevent the membership from adopting the full text of the improvement recommendations as an amendment in the nature of a substitute, and then proceeding to amend any or all of the specific recommendations?

It still falls within specified purpose of the special meeting.

Sorry for the incomplete information. Dr. Stackpole and I messaged off line about this.

What is going on is a renovation project at our church.  The committee was established to bring recommendations to the assembly.

What we wanted to avoid was having extended debate on the color of the carpet, the width of the chairs, the placement of the lighting, etc.

The committee wanted to bring the motion before the assembly, give them opportunity to debate and then have a straight up or down vote on the proposals.  From a proceedure standpoint, this appeared the best way to accomplish this.

The committee had done a fantastic job of holding town meetings in the weeks leading up to the meeting and explaining fully the changes they were proposing.

Just to close out this thread, the meeting was held last night and while there was some debate, the motion passed with no opposition.

Archived