The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Action Item

GregoryHofer

I asked our Executive Board to vote on a motion as written and submitted at the Executive Board Meeting and was told afterwards that they did not have to vote on the motion as it was not an action item.

Our Bylaws state that all Executive Board Meetings will be conducted as per Robert's Rules.

Does Roberts Rules define what an action item is? If so, what page can I find that?

Does Robert's Rules state that Members can or cannot submit motions to the Executive Board 

that they must vote on?  And if so, what page number can I find this info?

Is there any language in RONR that I could show them that would require them to

do as requrested?

Are you a member of the Executive Board? Forget the whole "action item" thing - RONR doesn't have that. However, if you're a general member, you have rights at a General meeting. If you're a board member, you have rights at a Board meeting.

If you, as a general member, are trying to get the board to vote on a motion at a board meeting, then they certainly don't have to. They might allow you to attend; they might listen to your request and do as you ask. But they don't have to.

If you're a board member, then this would be a different answer, so clarification would be good.

Archived