The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Change the Constitution and Bylaws?

Guest Mrio

I'm the President of IFC at my university and I have completely redone the Constitution and Bylaws. How would I go about making a motion to change this? Do I motion one change at a time? or can I motion to follow the newly changed Constitution and Bylaws? We follow robert's rules of order so it's extremely important that we follow it.

You could present the all-new Const. & Bylaws to the association as a "General Revision" - see p. 593 for "how-to" details.

However, be sure to check the current Const. & Bylaws as to what sort of preliminary steps may be necessary or required to get your new document properly before the group.

so how would I set up the motions for this? (kinda new to this)

1. I motion to revise (or amend) the Constitution?

2. I motion to adopt the revised version of the Constitution?

3. (motion article by article) I motion to amend Article I of the Constitution? 

Also, after the motion, it needs to be seconded, then "All in favor" finally "any extensions?" Do I need to do "is there any discussion right after a second?

so how would I set up the motions for this? (kinda new to this)

1. I motion to revise (or amend) the Constitution?

2. I motion to adopt the revised version of the Constitution?

3. (motion article by article) I motion to amend Article I of the Constitution? 

Also, after the motion, it needs to be seconded, then "All in favor" finally "any extensions?" Do I need to do "is there any discussion right after a second?

First off, the chair needs to maintain the appearace of impartiality while presiding. So you either need to get someone else to make the motion, or you need to relinquish the chair and let the VP preside if you're going to make the motion yourself. (I'll assume here that you're making the motion.)

You would only make one motion - to adopt the revised version of the Constitution. A second is required. The chair would state the question on the motion and ask if there is any debate or amendments for Article I. Then for Article II, and so on. Lastly, after all articles have been considered, the chair asks if there is any further debate or amendments on the revision as a whole. That would be the time for people to catch anything that was missed, or make changes that have become necessary after other amendments were adopted, or propose that entirely new articles be added.

Finally, after any final debate and amendment is completed, the chair would put the question and take the vote. Amendments to the constitution generally take at least a 2/3 vote, and if that's the case, it's best to do a rising vote. The chair would say "All in favor, please rise," then "All opposed, please rise." RONR advises that the final vote should be counted and recorded in the minutes unless it's nearly unanimous.

I assume "extensions" was supposed to be "abstentions," and no, the chair should not ask for abstentions.

Before you go, Guest-Guest (who I suppose is Original Poster Mrio, or someone of striking resemblance): as the president, you really owe it to yourself, and the membership for that matter, to be familiar with the procedure that you are, presumably, to be orchestrating competently. Pick up your copy of RONR - In Brief, and do not delay reading it (for the first time). I usually charge neophytes to do that first reading right there in the bookstore, only begrudgingly moving away from the cashier to be considerate (you're an aspiring parliamentarian, after all); no sitting down unless you have a broken leg, forget about lunch right now: you're young, you can wait an hour, unless perish forbid you're a diabetic, in which case very well, but make it snappy. Then, with that done and your mind spinning but inspired an hour later, turn around, get a grip on your courage and your wallet, and pick up your (first) copy of RONR itself -- The Right Book. (Perforce the RONR-In Brief was The Left Book, but nobody gets that one yet.) I tell people (which probably includes young brave Mrio) to read at least, but maybe only, ten pages a day in RONR, with which regimen you'll have read every word in barely over two months. A lot less if some days you read more than the requisite ten, and especially if on the first reading you skip some sections that obviously don't apply to you, like Section 52, Committee of the Whole and its ålternate Forms; Organizing a New Society (Chapter XVII, which is probably "17" in some foreign language); Chapter XIX (which is probably "kicks" for some reason in an alternate language) on Conventions; and Section 57, Amendment of Bylaws (because it'll probably all be over for your IFC by then, and all you'll be able to do most likely is XIX yourself for what your group got wrong).

Archived