The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting by phone

Guest Dale Prochnow Jr

Guest Dale Prochnow Jr

I sent in last week a question on if we could have a call in vote when we were using paper ballots.  We had a person call in a vote after they had car trouble, the vote was taken by phone. The new twist we have is that the night before I sent in my previous question we made a motion to have a reelection and it passed. My question is does the original answer still stand that as long as the vote wouldn't of mattered we wouldn't have to redo election or does this change the answer? 2. Can we make a motion to reopen discussions on the motion for reelections that was passed and if so how do we do this? 3. If we can reopen dicussions would you need 2/3rds to get motion to pass or do we use simple majority?

The new twist we have is that the night before I sent in my previous question we made a motion to have a reelection and it passed.

A motion to "redo" the election, based on the facts provided, was out of order and is null and void.

My question is does the original answer still stand that as long as the vote wouldn't of mattered we wouldn't have to redo election or does this change the answer?

No. Since the vote would not have affected the result, the original answer (and the original election) stand.

2. Can we make a motion to reopen discussions on the motion for reelections that was passed and if so how do we do this?

Don't bother. Instead, you should raise a Point of Order that the motion is null and void, which will force the chair to rule on the issue, and follow that up with an Appeal if necessary. A majority vote is required to overturn the chair's ruling.

Archived