Secretary casting vote in uncontested election

TraderFred

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/8/2024 at 11:07 PM, Guest markfromlegal said:

Hi all: 

Reanimating this question, as I have been in several organizations (ecclesiastical and fraternities) that follow this procedure religiously (no pun intended). Couldn't there be a special rule of order that authorizes this exact procedure?

If there was not a requirement in the bylaws that vote be taken by ballot, yes. 

However, this rule:

A.  Is unnecessary.

B.  Could create a problem if worded incorrectly.  A rule that the secretary shall cast the vote might be worded, incorrectly, to give the secretary sole discretion to vote how he feel fit to chose.  

On 5/8/2024 at 11:07 PM, Guest markfromlegal said:

Hi all: 

Reanimating this question, as I have been in several organizations (ecclesiastical and fraternities) that follow this procedure religiously (no pun intended). Couldn't there be a special rule of order that authorizes this exact procedure?

Yes.

RONR permits passing special rules of order, no matter how ill advised.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:07 PM, Guest markfromlegal said:

Hi all: 

As a general matter, a special rule of order could be adopted to authorize this procedure.

If, however, the bylaws require a ballot vote for particular matters (such as elections), and the bylaws do not provide an exception in the circumstance that there is only one candidate for the office, then a special rule of order is not sufficient, because a special rule of order cannot conflict with the bylaws. (And because, as has been noted several times, this isn't a real ballot vote, and therefore does not satisfy the requirement in the bylaws to hold a ballot vote.) To the extent the organization wishes to adopt such a procedure, it would need to amend the bylaws.

I also must reiterate again that the procedure is (at best) a complete waste of time and should not be authorized under any circumstances.

On 5/9/2024 at 7:34 PM, Drake Savory said:

I know for a fact I have read in RONR that this out of order.  I cannot find it in the current edition.  Was that rule in another edition? 

It's still in there.

"Whenever a vote is to be taken by ballot, it is not in order to move that one person—the secretary, for example—cast the ballot of the assembly." RONR (12th ed.) 45:22

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.