The Official RONR Q & A Forums

president resigned, board deadlock in his replacement

cqn

At your next regular meeting, Keep voting until someone is elected; or, vote to reopen nominations - nominate and elect another person. Either way, keep voting until someone is elected. Which vacancy are you deadlocked on? Filling the board seat, or electing the new Vice-president (presuming their is no special bylaws language concerning a president's resignation).

If you have a Vice President, or First Vice President, you have no vacancy in the office of President.  Under the rules in RONR that person automatically ascends to the office of President.

But, presumably, there's still a vacancy on the board.

The concept of an "acting" president isn't in RONR - one is either president or not.  Do your bylaws define what an "acting president", as distinct from "president", is?

On the matter of "RONR says " The President's preference prevails" ".   Nope.  RONR doesn't say that.  RONR says that bylaws supersede RONR's rules.  So if your bylaws say the president "prevails" that is fine.  If not, then look to your bylaws to see what they do say.

Would the VP who is now acting as the President hold that office until the remainder of the President's term, or until the board seat is filled so we could elect a new President?

Unless your bylaws provide otherwise, your former VP is not "acting" as President. He is the President and will serve for the remainder of the term. You don't get to elect a new President. You will elect a new Vice President.

On the first question: our acting President says RONR says " The President's preference prevails" so he himself can choose the person to fill the board seat even though the general assembly chose not to put this person on the board in the last 2 elections.

RONR says nothing of the sort.

Josh, NO, NO, NO, You don't understand. That is not the answer I was looking for! To fully appreciate my dilemma I should tell you this board is an irrigation water board, in Wyoming, a state with a concealed carry law. Unfortunately our meeting are very heated and for the last year or more no chairman has had much success in holding meetings without multiple disruptions. But, Thank you for your response.

By the way, what is a Professional Registered Parliamentarian and what do you do as a "Professional Registered Parliamentarian"?

Josh, NO, NO, NO, You don't understand. That is not the answer I was looking for! To fully appreciate my dilemma I should tell you this board is an irrigation water board, in Wyoming, a state with a concealed carry law. Unfortunately our meeting are very heated and for the last year or more no chairman has had much success in holding meetings without multiple disruptions. But, Thank you for your response.

Since this is a public body, you may also wish to see if applicable law has anything to say on this subject.

By the way, what is a Professional Registered Parliamentarian and what do you do as a "Professional Registered Parliamentarian"?

Professional Registered Parliamentarian is a title offered by the National Association of Parliamentarians granted upon the successful completion of courses from that organization, and there are further courses and other professional development requirements in order to maintain that status.

Professional parliamentarians generally are those who serve clients in the area of parliamentary procedure. Some of the common roles are serving as a meeting parliamentarian (an adviser to the presiding officer on parliamentary procedure), a consultant in drafting new or revised bylaws and other governing documents, a presenter or educator on parliamentary procedure, or writing an opinion regarding the proper interpretation of an organization's governing documents or the proper application of parliamentary procedure. While it is not a requirement, many professional parliamentarians are members of and have achieved certifications with one or both of the major parliamentary organizations - the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians.

I know this doesn't change much but we are a private non-profit company.

My mistake. It doesn't change anything so far as RONR is concerned. I would still advise seeing if there is anything in applicable law which is relevant to your question, although which laws are applicable will be somewhat different.

... To fully appreciate my dilemma I should tell you this board is an irrigation water board, in Wyoming, a state with a concealed carry law. Unfortunately our meeting are very heated and for the last year or more no chairman has had much success in holding meetings without multiple disruptions

cqn, how do you think the fact that your board is an irrigation water board makes any difference in how decisions are made democratically (that is, with your parliamentary procedure)?

And what the hell do you think your damn concealed carry law has any damn thing to do with the democratic process?  If you expect anyone might shoot up the place, you don't particularly have a parliamentary question.

cqn, how do you think the fact that your board is an irrigation water board makes any difference in how decisions are made democratically (that is, your parliamentary procedure)?

And what the hell do you think your damn concealed carry law has any damn thing to do with the democratic process?  If you expect anyone might shoot up the place, you don't particularly have a parliamentary question.

Since this was offered in response to what I said in Post #11, it is is apparently the opinion of the OP that it will be difficult for "an irrigation water board, in Wyoming, a state with a concealed carry law" to reach a compromise.

Gary c; The fact that our board is a water board for an irrigation dist. should not change the democratic process but in a dry state, water is a hot issue. And when the bylaws (written in 1919) don't address a tie vote on a board down to 4 because of the resignation, people start trying to interpret to their advantage. Did you get the part where I said HOT issue? This makes the discussions difficult, much like here. Let me guess, I'll bet you jumped in on this little thread because you saw it listed as a Hot topic and now you get to use some of those big powerful words like damn and hell.

Sorry to add more fuel Josh. I just can't help it sometimes. Oh, by the way Gary...when two men get toe to toe in a room full of people and are beyond the civil conversation stage as in out last meeting...it does change the dynamics of the discussion when one is known to be packing. At that point, democracy.........its not first on their minds. Have a nice day, I'm busy. 

Archived