The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee meeting minutes

Guest Joan Siltanen

Our committee membership ends on May 31.  The committee continues but some of the members change.

Can the new group that begins on June 1 approve minutes from a May meeting?

Assuming this is a committee that keeps formal minutes (ordinarily they don't), a subcommittee should have been appointed to approve these minutes (RONR, p. 474, l. 31 to p. 475, l. 7). If this has not been done, however, these minutes should be approved at the next regular meeting of the committee (RONR, 11th ed., p. 354, ll. 17-20).

Similarly, may a member of a committee motion to approve (or second a motion to approve) minutes from the previous meeting if they were absent from that meeting? It does not seem logical to me that they should be able to approve something they are not able to confirm because of their absence. Please also notate the citation for the answer to this topic.

Similarly, may a member of a committee motion to approve (or second a motion to approve) minutes from the previous meeting if they were absent from that meeting? It does not seem logical to me that they should be able to approve something they are not able to confirm because of their absence. Please also notate the citation for the answer to this topic.

" It should be noted that a member's absence from the meeting for which minutes are being approved does not prevent the member from participating in their correction or approval."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 355

It does not seem logical to me that they should be able to approve something they are not able to confirm because of their absence. Please also notate the citation for the answer to this topic.

It does not seem logical to me that if I see my name listed as making a motion during a meeting at which I was not present, that I should be prevented from correcting the record.

Besides, according to the rules in RONR, the approval of minutes requires neither a motion nor a second (p. 355), so there's no problem in the first place.

Archived