The Official RONR Q & A Forums

opening account and withdrawing money

Guest concern

In our by laws it states that if we do not have a specific by law we follow roberts rules.  Our President resigned to be come fire cheif and the treasurer was appointed President.  as soon as she was president she went to the bank to open a new account when she did this she was the only person to sign the withdrawl slip for $90,000.00 and she opened another department account with the same signatures that were on the other one at the bank the old president(who is no inelligable to be on the account because he is not a board member) and herself.  Our by laws clearly state that you need two signatures to make a withdrawl on any account.  She did not do this.  We do not have any thing in our by laws about removing a board member if they violate our by laws is there anything in roberts rules that will inable us to remove her,

If you think your new president stole (or "misappropriated") $90,000 I think you need to call the cops. Or, at least, hire an attorney.

she put the money into another account belonging to the department but did not have approval of the board and the bank does not police the 2 signature policy we have to do it ourselves

While it may be possible to remove your president, I think I would be more concerned about getting the right signatures on the account. If the organization is listed as the owner of the account, it is hard to say the funds have been misappropriated, even though the protections against it are not in place. I'm not sure if they can convert an account to one that requires two signatures or if it requires opening a new account. But that doesn't matter for this discussion. The organization needs to decide who can sign for money and straighter out the paperwork.

Archived