The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Commenting

Guest Johnny

Hello,

I just had a small question.  I know there is point of information to ask a question and point of clarification to answer that question, but what should somebody say if they simply want to comment on the topic at hand? Say we were talking about an upcoming event, and I heard that the weather would be bad and wanted to let everyone know.  I wouldn't say "Point of Information! Is it supposed to rain on Friday?" and then go on to answer my own question with "Point of Clarification! Yes it is!" would I?  I feel like point of privilege is the closest thing that comes to this, but I know it's only for emergencies.  So my question is again, what should someone say to voice a comment?

I know there is point of information to ask a question and point of clarification to answer that question, 

The current preferred term for a "point of information" is now "Request for Information." There is no such thing under RONR as a "point of clarification."

I agree with Mr. Guest that you should just make your your point about rain during your debate on the issue, and perhaps move to amend the motion to specify a different day (or just urge its defeat if that is what you prefer). If you don't want to use your debate time, then a Request for Information ("Isn't is supposed to rain on Friday?") would be the appropriate vehicle, but in that event you should not answer your own question with a (non-existent) "point of clarification." If you want to provide information, rather than request it, you need to do that in debate.

I agree with Mr. Guest and Mr. Merritt.  You have a range of options, including a motion to reschedule the event, referring the event to a committee with power to reschedule it, or granting the president the authority to reschedule it.

In your post, you say "we were talking about an upcoming event".  Do you mean you are debating a motion to have the event (or a motion related to the event) or just aimlessly talking about an event already scheduled?  At what point on the agenda or in the order of business are you?   If you are actually debating the motion for the event or a motion related to it, that would be the best time to make your announcement. 

If you just want to make an announcement that you heard that the weather might be bad on the day scheduled for the event, and leave it to someone else to make a motion to actually do something about it, you could certainly make your announcement during the period on the agenda or in the order of business for "Announcements" or "For the Good of the Order" if you have such an item.  If not, they you can always just pipe up during a pause in the business and say, "Mr Chairman, may I make a brief announcement?"

Technically, making such an announcement at any time other than during debate on a motion related to the event or during a time set aside for announcements might be out of order, but I doubt that you would be chastised for pointing out that you just checked the weather forecast on your smartphone and see that severe thunderstorm warnings have just been issued for the day the event is scheduled for.

Thank you all for your replies.  To clarify, this usually would take place during the committee reports and would not be during a motion for the event.  In this situation, the committee head is simply reminding the general body of the event, and it is THEN I would want to talk about the rain on Friday.  I understand that this could be asked as a point of information just as Mr. Merritt described, but I was hoping for a more direct way of getting the information across because sometimes the information isn't always easy or too long to put into a single question.  

Most of the time, we do handle this very well by using point of information and turning our thoughts into a question.  However, sometimes we are stuck when someone just wants to add information and we normally do allow them to just speak plainly. That is really the purpose of this question.  Is there a way I can just say "It's going to rain Friday" (without turning it into a question or motion) so the committee head could think about switching the date without being out of order?  I also have to ask if it is possible to have an announcement period after each committee head in order to allow the information to stay together and not be separated by other committee reports?

I would like to know if a vote could be retracted if one person on the nomination committee did not turn in their nomination papers at the time of the vote ?

The short answer is "No". But this forum works best if you'll post your new (and unrelated) question as a new topic. This topic is about making comments during a meeting.

Thank you all for your replies.  To clarify, this usually would take place during the committee reports and would not be during a motion for the event.  In this situation, the committee head is simply reminding the general body of the event, and it is THEN I would want to talk about the rain on Friday.  I understand that this could be asked as a point of information just as Mr. Merritt described, but I was hoping for a more direct way of getting the information across because sometimes the information isn't always easy or too long to put into a single question.  

Most of the time, we do handle this very well by using point of information and turning our thoughts into a question.  However, sometimes we are stuck when someone just wants to add information and we normally do allow them to just speak plainly. That is really the purpose of this question.  Is there a way I can just say "It's going to rain Friday" (without turning it into a question or motion) so the committee head could think about switching the date without being out of order?

I think the appropriate tool for what you want to do is a Request for Any Other Privilege (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 299). One of the most common uses for this motion is "a request to address remarks or make a presentation while no motion is pending." Such a request is often granted by unanimous consent, but a majority vote is sufficient if there is disagreement.

I also have to ask if it is possible to have an announcement period after each committee head in order to allow the information to stay together and not be separated by other committee reports?

The assembly may adopt a rule providing for such an "announcement period" if it wishes. Otherwise, use Request for Any Other Privilege.

Archived