The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a Treasurer serve as Parliamentarian?

sratke

I'm unable to attend the annual meeting for a group I've served as parlimentary advisor,  They have someone who's done the job in the past who's willing to do so again.  Only problem is that he's the Treasurer.  Common sense says that he can't serve as both, but could someone point me to the rule that says he can't serve as both?  Much appreciated.

As someone suggested recently in another thread about a "member parliamentarian", perhaps instead of serving as parliamentarian,  you could serve as a "member knowledgeable in matters of parliamentary procedure" who the chairman  can call upon for advice if he gets in a real jam.

I know others won't like this, but it seems to me the assembly could also suspend the rules that interfere with the treasurer (or any member) exercising all rights of membership while serving as parliamentarian for the duration of this meeting.

The provisions in RONR re a member serving as parliamentarian are on page 467 and provide as follows:

"A member of an assembly who acts as its parliamentarian has the same duty as the presiding officer to maintain a position of impartiality, and therefore does not make motions, participate in debate, or vote on any question except in the case of a ballot vote. He does not cast a deciding vote, even if his vote would affect the result, since that would interfere with the chair's prerogative of doing so. If a member feels that he cannot properly forgo these rights in order to serve as parliamentarian, he should not accept that position. Unlike the presiding officer, the parliamentarian cannot temporarily relinquish his position in order to exercise such rights on a particular motion."

Edited to add:  The provisions on page 254 at lines 3 - 7 seem to say that the chair may call on a knowledgeable member for parliamentary advice:

"Before rendering his decision, the chair can consult the parliamentarian, if there is one. The chair can also request the advice of experienced members, but no one has the right to express such opinions in the meeting unless requested to do so by the chair."

As someone suggested recently in another thread about a "member parliamentarian", perhaps instead of serving as parliamentarian,  you could serve as a "member knowledgeable in matters of parliamentary procedure" who the chairman  can call upon for advice if he gets in a real jam.

I've been serving as a "member knowledgeable in matters of parliamentary procedure" in one organization for several months. I've resisted the title of parliamentarian because I hold too many other positions to stay out of the debate. I'm the vice president of the organization, so I'm already seated near the president. I'm usually the person he asks if he is uncertain of the rules. When one of the committees needs guidance on parliamentary procedure, they usually look to me. In short, all the stuff a parliamentarian does, I'm doing. But we don't have a parliamentarian because we don't have someone who can fulfill the duties.

Archived