The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Adjourn?

Guest Janice

Do you need a motion to adjourn a meeting?  We have been told at our Club meetings that no motion for adjournment is needed.  Whenever the President decides, she say "meeting adjourned"  and that is the end of the meeting.  Shouldn't there be a motion, second and vote?

Do you need a motion to adjourn a meeting?

It depends. There are some circumstances when the chair can simply declare the meeting adjourned, without a motion. These are:

• A time for adjournment has been previously scheduled, and that time has been reached.
  • The assembly has completed its order of business and, when the chair asks if there is any further business, no member responds.
  • There is an emergency (such as a fire).

In all other cases, yes, a motion to adjourn is necessary.

Whenever the President decides, she say "meeting adjourned"  and that is the end of the meeting.  Shouldn't there be a motion, second and vote?

The President can declare the meeting adjourned unilaterally in the cases mentioned above. Otherwise, yes, there should be a motion, second, and vote.

Do you need a motion to adjourn a meeting?  We have been told at our Club meetings that no motion for adjournment is needed.  Whenever the President decides, she say "meeting adjourned"  and that is the end of the meeting.  Shouldn't there be a motion, second and vote?

Next time this happens, somebody (maybe you?) should be quick (very quick) to jump up and shout "Point of Order, Madam President".  There has been no motion to adjourn and we still have some business to attend to.  I object to adjourning".  Be prepared to appeal from the ruling of the chair if she rules that your objection is not well taken.

But, don't do that unless there really is other business to take up.  Don't do it just because nobody made a motion to adjourn.  If it is obvious that it is time to adjourn because there is no further business or the time to adjourn has been reached, it is quite customary for presiding officers to simply declare the meeting adjourned.  Don't be picky just for the sake of being picky.   Other members generally don't like that.  :)

Note:  Ideally, before declaring the meeting adjourned, she should say, "Is there any further business?"   Pause.  "Hearing none, the meeting is adjourned."

I don't have a reply but our President just ended our last meeting because he got "pissed off" and said "this meeting is over"  Everyone just stood there dumbfounded and I said you can't just adjourn the meeting.  He said he didn't care what I said.  The meeting ended abruptly and everyone got up and started leaving so I am not sure anyone made an official motion and seconded.  What do you do in this circumstance.

I don't have a reply but our President just ended our last meeting because he got "pissed off" and said "this meeting is over"  Everyone just stood there dumbfounded and I said you can't just adjourn the meeting.  He said he didn't care what I said.  The meeting ended abruptly and everyone got up and started leaving so I am not sure anyone made an official motion and seconded.  What do you do in this circumstance.

Unless you have the power to freeze time locally (so time has stopped for the meeting but is still running for the rest of us) I would assume everyone has left by now.  If that is the case there isn't anything you can do about it right now since the members seem to have adjourned by their feet.  However, if something like this happens again announce the President doesn't have the authority under RONR to adjourn the meeting unilaterally just because he gets cranky and the VP should continue the meeting (or the assembly elects a Chair pro tem if the VP isn't there or left with El Presidente).

With no VP, the members can (and should if there is any more business - like censuring the presiding officer for his bullying tactics) elect a Chairman pro tem.  And then carry on.  The president should get the message pretty soon.

But a quorum's worth of the members have to stay put to do this.

The three most important words that members should be ready to use without a moment's hesitation when dealing with a presiding officer who either doesn't know the rules or often ignores them are, "Point of Order!!!"  In this case, it would be, "Point of Order, Mr. President!  There has been no motion to adjourn.  This meeting is still in session".    Then implore the other members not to leave.

RONR pages247 et seq. Also 650 and 651.

The next most important words might well be, "I appeal from the decision of the chair".   RONR p 255 et seq

If things like this happen too often, RONR provides instructions on how to deal with it.  You have options, including putting your point of order to a vote of the assembly yourself and removing the presiding officer from the chair temporarily or for the remainder of the meeting.  RONR pp 650, 651

Then, there is always the option of adopting a motion of censure against the president for willfully ignoring the rules of order.  This is something you might consider at a subsequent meeting.  RONR pp 344, 451, 643.

The final weapon in your arsenal is removal from office and/or expulsion from membership.  RONR pp 650 et seq. See also FAQ No  20: http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#20

If your presiding officer either ignores or doesn't understand the rules, you (the members) have no choice but to learn them yourselves.... or to be run roughshod over and grumble on the way home.

It's all explained in RONR.  Don't settle for anything less than "the right book":  http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html

Archived