The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidential Veto Power

Guest John Squicciarini

Guest John Squicciarini

Hi,

I am the president of a Gun Club in California, primarily governed by our By-Laws and Robert's Rules.  I chaired a board meeting last evening where a motion to raise our prices was passed by the board of directors.  I am very much against said price increase as there is more capacity than demand in this arena and I believe it will ultimately hurt the club as members will gravitate to other clubs with lower prices.  Nevertheless, the motion was passed.  I was wondering if the president has Veto power?

Thank you

John Squicciarini

President, The Martinez Gun Club

I was wondering if the president has Veto power?

Not in RONR-Land.

But if the board is small enough (no more than about a dozen members), the chair (i.e. the president) is free to fully participate. So you could have argued against the motion in debate and voted against it*. See FAQ #1.

Further, the general membership could overturn the decision of the board. See Official Interpretation 2006-13.

*Edited to add: This assumes you're a member of the board.

When you say "prices" do you mean for merchandise sold, or are you talking about membership dues?

If it's dues, and the current dues are listed in the bylaws, then it would take a bylaws amendment to change them, according to the procedure set forth in the bylaws for their own amendment.

Guest John Squicciarini

Thank you all, to Gary, no it is the price of a round of trap or skeet which under our by-laws is the purview of the board of directors. Membership fees are also at the board's discretion according to our by-laws. Bottom line, I cannot veto the approved motion.

Archived