The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What Constitutes "Effective Dues"

mbillard

A local society (they of the botched board of directors election I mentioned previously) is attempting to determine the quorum requirements for its annual membership meeting. The bylaws are silent on the subject. Per the bylaws membership is "constituted by a contribution of monies, time, goods, or services by that individual in a calendar year." The only records kept regarding meeting this requirement are when an individual requests a tax receipt or fills out a volunteer form. Many don't, so the actual number of members is unknown. Does the contribution requirement constitute "effective dues" as stipulated in section 40 of RONR? I'm presuming (perhaps incorrectly) that because the section reads "no required effective dues and the register of members is not generally reliable . . ." that both requirements must be met.

Based on what you've provided (and to be clear you're not speaking about an annual meeting of a church) the quorum requirement for your organization is more than half the members.

However, from what you've provided, half of what? Ultimately, it is up to the organization to interpret its own bylaws. Some principles of interpretation may be found beginning on RONR, p. 588.

A local society (they of the botched board of directors election I mentioned previously) is attempting to determine the quorum requirements for its annual membership meeting. The bylaws are silent on the subject. Per the bylaws membership is "constituted by a contribution of monies, time, goods, or services by that individual in a calendar year." The only records kept regarding meeting this requirement are when an individual requests a tax receipt or fills out a volunteer form. Many don't, so the actual number of members is unknown. Does the contribution requirement constitute "effective dues" as stipulated in section 40 of RONR? I'm presuming (perhaps incorrectly) that because the section reads "no required effective dues and the register of members is not generally reliable . . ." that both requirements must be met.

No, I don't think this requirement constitutes "effective dues." Dues are a requirement to pay a set amount of money to the society. Additionally, since there is apparently no minimum amount of time, money, goods, or services that is required, it seems to me that pretty much anyone could credibly claim to be a member. Until the society establishes better record keeping or establishes its own quorum requirement in the bylaws, it seems to me that the quorum is the members present.

Based on what you've provided (and to be clear you're not speaking about an annual meeting of a church) the quorum requirement for your organization is more than half the members.

Why? It seems pretty clear to me that the society has no effective dues or reliable record of its members. The text does mention churches and alumni associations in its discussion of this subject, but I understood these to be examples, not an exhaustive list.

Based on the information provided, I agree with Edgar and Josh.  I don't think this organization has a fixed membership such that the actual number numbers can be determined with reasonable certainty.  Therefore, the quorum would be those members who show up.  If there is an actual membership roster, then my answer might be different, depending on the particulars of the "membership roster".

No, I don't think this requirement constitutes "effective dues." Dues are a requirement to pay a set amount of money to the society. Additionally, since there is apparently no minimum amount of time, money, goods, or services that is required, it seems to me that pretty much anyone could credibly claim to be a member. Until the society establishes better record keeping or establishes its own quorum requirement in the bylaws, it seems to me that the quorum is the members present.

Why? It seems pretty clear to me that the society has no effective dues or reliable record of its members. The text does mention churches and alumni associations in its discussion of this subject, but I understood these to be examples, not an exhaustive list.

Okay, I'll agree with Josh, Edgar and Richard,

Archived