The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member Discipline

keefe

Posting a question for an aquaintance.  In short, a Board Member was in discussion with a Coach (Non Board Member) when the Board Member began to yell at her, the Coach did not like the yelling and decided to leave, the Board Member grabbed her shoulder in an attempt to get her to stay to which she quickly left.  Shortly thereafter the rest of the Board was notified that the Coach had quit.  It sounds like this may not have been the first time something like this has occured. 

The question being asked to me is how the Board can properly deal with the issue.  The all in favor of disciplinary action against the member and removing him from the board but want to proceed with caution.  Through discussion it seems as though they will talk to the Board Member and see if he will willingly resingn from the Board.  If that doesn't go according to plan what would your recommendation be?  I have been looking in Chapter 20 or RONR for answers but also know there is a great resource on this forum.

Thank you in advance.

I strongly suggest you (or a group of you) your friend or a group of his fellow board members talk to the board member first and encourage him to resign.  Disciplinary procedures are complicated,  cumbersome, sometimes expensive, risky (can get you sued), divisive and split an organization into factions and sometimes even lead to its demise.

Edited to change the suggestion that you talk to the member to having your friend talk to the member. 

Archived