The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What to do with seriously flawed minutes

DanielEHayes

During a recent meeting our Secretary read the minutes and the number of corrections that I would have wished to make to the minutes were extreme. We had a LOT of business to take care of and I suspect that approving these minutes would have taken a hour to go through my corrections.   Someone wanted to table approving the minutes, I suggested we Postpone Definitely until our next Quarterly meeting. I intend to do a revision of the minutes and submit those.  What would have been the proper parliamentary course of action?

During a recent meeting our Secretary read the minutes and the number of corrections that I would have wished to make to the minutes were extreme. We had a LOT of business to take care of and I suspect that approving these minutes would have taken a hour to go through my corrections.   Someone wanted to table approving the minutes, I suggested we Postpone Definitely until our next Quarterly meeting. I intend to do a revision of the minutes and submit those.  What would have been the proper parliamentary course of action?

Postpone Definitely would have been the proper tool for this purpose.

No. The Secretary from when she has been appointed has always included lots of commentary and opinion in the minutes some of which is not worth mentioning and some of which is totally inappropriate in my opinion.

You could have accomplished your goal in 2 minutes, not an hour, by moving to have a committee appointed to construct a set of minutes sans references to debate, commentary, and opinions, and report back at the next meeting.  I don't think I'd trust an instruction to have the Secretary do it by herself.

Archived