The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election debate

Guest mike

Can a motion to suspend rules be used to eliminate the debate required in connection with officer elections?

How come there is no mention or even hint of a debate or discussion in connection with officer elections in the sections dealing with nominations and voting , e.g., when and where do they fit in the process?

Can a motion to suspend rules be used to eliminate the debate required in connection with officer elections?

Yes.  The assembly can also use the motion "Limit or extend the limits of debate" to limit the debate/speeches.  The assembly can also adopt motions regarding nominations and nominating speeches.

How come there is no mention or even hint of a debate or discussion in connection with officer elections in the sections dealing with nominations and voting , e.g., when and where do they fit in the process?

That question I cannot answer.  It is frequently the topic of discussion on this forum.  The provision seems to be buried in the "tinted pages" on tinted pages 18-19.  Perhaps someone from the authorship team can elaborate.

Edited to add:  There is also a mention of nominations being debatable on tinted page 43.

I'm not on "the team" (but I play it on the I'net), but an argument could be that since nominations is just a form of filling blanks (I'd give you a page reference but my book is out of reach) and filling blanks is debatable as to what goes in the blanks, so too are those nominations.

Something more explicit would still be nice, however.

Archived