The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correcting & Approving Minutes

Guest Kari

Referring to p94-95 ll.34-3.

I understand that the board is not the board at an annual meeting. At an annual meeting how can the general membership correct and approve the boards regular minutes if they weren't at the regular meeting?

They can't. The board approves its own minutes.

The statement you are referring to reads "The minutes of the previous regular meeting are read and approved as usual at the annual meeting, and the minutes of the annual meeting are read and approved at the next regular meeting. Minutes of one annual meeting should not be held for action until the next one a year later." In the context of this statement, all of the meetings referred to are meetings of the general membership. It applies in societies where the membership meets at least as often as quarterly. It does not mean that the general membership should approve the minutes of the previous board meeting.

Do you mean that the general membership meets at least as often as quarterly?

In some societies, yes.

If the general membership only meets annually then are the general membership minutes corrected and approved the next year (at the next annual meeting)?

No. If the general membership only meets annually, then the general membership should authorize the board or a committee to approve the minutes. A year is far too long to wait to approve minutes, since many members will have difficulty remembering what happened at a meeting that long ago.

Could you please direct me to a page number in RR where it says that a year is too long to wait and the board or a committee should approve the minutes. Does it also say within what time frame the board or committee should approve the minutes?

Could you please direct me to a page number in RR where it says that a year is too long to wait and the board or a committee should approve the minutes. Does it also say within what time frame the board or committee should approve the minutes?

You could start with the top of p.95 which says that the "minutes of one annual meeting should not be held for action until the next one a year later".

Minutes should be approved within "a quarterly time interval". That's RONR-speak for three (or four) months.

Could you please direct me to a page number in RR where it says that a year is too long to wait and the board or a committee should approve the minutes.

See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 474-475.

Does it also say within what time frame the board or committee should approve the minutes?

No, but based on the reason the board or committee was assigned this task in the first place (the assembly meets less often than quarterly), I'd say it should be within a quarterly time interval at the most.

Maybe I am missing something - but it is not clear to me whether the "annual meeting" in the original post is an annual meeting of the Board or an annual meeting of the membership. It seems to be the annual membership meeting.

If it is a membership meeting, then reading and approval of Board minutes (it seems to me) would not be done.

While I agree that RONR advises that the minutes of the annual meeting of members not wait until the next year for approval, nonetheless it may be that the bylaws of a particular organization specify that this be done. [i am a member and board member and officer of such an organization]

While I agree that RONR advises that the minutes of the annual meeting of members not wait until the next year for approval, nonetheless it may be that the bylaws of a particular organization specify that this be done. [i am a member and board member and officer of such an organization]

Then you should try to persuade your organization to amend its bylaws.

It doesn't say that a committee should approve the minutes, it says the membership should authorize a committee to approve the minutes.

If the membership fails to do so, then no committee is authorized.

Archived