The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Personnel Committee

JerryRig

Duties for a Personnel Committee are defined in the bylaws as follows:

The Personnel Committee shall be elected to "Seek out a suitable chairman".  In years past, the Personnel Committee would use these general words to accomplish the complete chairman selection process.

Now, a special committee has decided the defined duty "Seek out a suitable chairman" is not clear and have taken it upon them selves to do research as to what type chairman would be suitable for the organization.

Is it ok for any standing or special committee to, at their discretion, do research and pass to the Personnel Committee?

No, it is not proper for another committee to usurp the duties of a standing committee, although individual members are free to pass on information to a committee.

Here is what RONR says about that on page 492;

"A special (select, or ad hoc) committee is a committee appointed, as the need arises, to carry out a specified task, at the completion of which—that is, on presentation of its final report to the assembly—it automatically ceases to exist. A special committee may not be appointed to perform a task that falls within the assigned function of an existing standing committee."

Maybe I was not clear on the Personnel Committee. 

It is elected on a need basis and then disbanded after the chairman has been elected.  This Personnel Committee's duties are in the bylaws but it is to be nominated and elected in 2 months. 

Already the special committee is doing research as to what type chairman would be suitable for the organization.

Is your previous answer still valid with these changes?

Maybe I was not clear on the Personnel Committee. 

It is elected on a need basis and then disbanded after the chairman has been elected.  This Personnel Committee's duties are in the bylaws but it is to be nominated and elected in 2 months. 

Already the special committee is doing research as to what type chairman would be suitable for the organization.

Is your previous answer still valid with these changes?

The specific citation will not apply, but I believe the answer remains valid. A committee cannot perform a duty assigned to another committee in the bylaws. Additionally, a special committee can only perform the tasks assigned by the organization.

I think you'll have an easier time if you ask those people (who claim that an individual or committee can just take off an do what they want) to show you the page where that is allowed.

The entire basis of RONR and a principle charactheristic of the deliberative assembly is that the majority (not an individual or committee) rules.

I am getting hit pretty hard by members wanting to know chapter and verse of the ruling.  Do you have any specific reference other than Page 492?

It is hard to convince some members even on good logic.

Try pg. 490.

Which members are you having a hard time convincing? The committee members? If so, perhaps they should be replaced.

Archived